The galette des rois is a French dessert typical of the Epiphany day. Different between north and south of France for ingredients and preparation, the common aspect is the presence in the dough of a surprise.
The galette des rois ( cake of the kings ) is a dessert that in France is consumed mainly on the occasion of the Epiphany. The ingredients are different depending on the production area and range from simple puff pastry from the North to brioche with candied fruit from the South.
Its name is a clear reference to the Three Kings, a symbol of the holiday. The French Befana dessert hides a stone inside: the lucky one who finds it will be the king of the day, a bit like with the Piedmontese Befana focaccia .
Today we will see the recipe of the Galette des Rois with frangipane and puff pastry . A rich dessert like only the French can do!
How to prepare the galette des rois
- In a bowl, mix the butter with the sugar . I recommend that you use electric whips.
- Now divide the vanilla bean with a cut lengthwise and take the seeds with the tip of the knife. Add them together with the rum and whole egg to the bowl with the butter.
- Always with the whips mixed until you get a sort of cream.
- Then add the almond flour mixing well with a spatula.
- Unroll the first disc of puff pastry and spread the filling in the center, keeping about 4 cm from the edge.
- Hide the whole almond (you can also use another fruit or a small object) and cover with the other disc.
- Seal the edges well, then fold them towards the center to form a sort of cornice. Brush with the leftover egg yolk beaten with a drop of milk or water and bake at 180 ° C for 30-35 minutes . It must be crunchy and shiny.
- Serve the cake of kings after letting it cool completely. The lucky one who finds the almond will be the king of the day: treat it as such!
Another typical dessert of this time of year is the donut of the Magi , good and full of candied fruit!
The secret of the galette de rois: what it contains
As we have said, this dessert was born for moments of celebration, especially during the Epiphany period. It was used to get together, young and old, and have fun together in this last event of the Christmas period . Initially, by tradition, a bean or, as in our case, an almond was hidden in the dessert from the original French recipe. Over the years, however, the custom has changed and, now, it is more likely to find a small object or gift hidden inside the cake.
There is that he puts a statuette of the Magi or the Madonna, or a small casket with a gift. The story of the galette de rois, then, provides that it is the eldest member of the family to cut the slices of the cake, while the youngest will have to distribute them without peeking to all the diners and then find out who will be the lucky one to find the “hidden prize “.
We recommend keeping the dessert for a maximum of 1 day in the refrigerator. We do not recommend freezing in the freezer instead.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Baccalà alla cappuccina: a rich dish of the Italian tradition
Cod alla cappuccina is a delicious dish based on fish and polenta, typical of the cuisine of Friuli and Veneto....
Blood loss before your period: what they can indicate
Bleeding before your period can be completely normal. Let's find out why it happens and how to act. When we...
Trout in foil: for a simple and tasty fish dish!
We enjoy a light but very tasty second course, trout in foil, easy to prepare and ideal for fish lovers....
Let’s prepare the babka, the Jewish cake in the shape of a braid
Babka is a leavened cake rich in taste and which is becoming more and more known also in Italy. Let's...
Chickpea cutlet: ingredients and tips for preparing a special dish
The chickpea cutlet recipe is specially designed for those looking for a delicious dish to alternate with meat or fish...