Served with a scoop of ice cream, the apple clafoutis is everything you could want from a dessert: let’s find out how to prepare it together.
Clafoutis, as the name suggests, is a sweet of French origin. Although the traditional recipe is based on cherries, no one forbids you to make it also with other fruit as we did with the apple clafoutis. The peculiarity of this recipe lies in the creamy consistency , similar to that of a pudding. The best way to enjoy it is lukewarm, accompanying it with a scoop of vanilla or cream ice cream. In fact, however, the apple and cinnamon clafoutis can also be enjoyed cold without losing anything.
The caramelized apple clafoutis is quite simple to make and the trick to achieving the characteristic flavor is in the timing. To have the caramel of the right consistency, therefore fluid, the dessert should be served immediately: when it cools it will tend to solidify, frustrating your efforts. However, as mentioned before, you can enjoy the dessert even when cold.
How to prepare apple clafoutis with the original recipe
- First wash the apples , peel them and cut them into slices. Keep them aside for the moment.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar , then stir in the sifted flour, taking care to remove all lumps.
- Finally, add the milk and cinnamon .
- Put the brown sugar and butter in a 24 cm diameter cake pan and melt it over low heat.
- Cook it until it has taken on a pleasant amber color then add half the apples, continuing to cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the previously prepared batter , spread the remaining apples on the surface and bake at 180 ° C for 35 minutes or until the surface has browned.
- Wait a couple of minutes then turn the cake upside down on a serving dish and serve it taking care not to burn yourself.
Apple clafoutis can be kept in the refrigerator , well covered with plastic wrap, for 2-3 days . You can consume it both cold or heated for a few moments in the microwave: it will look like it has just been made!