If you are tired of the usual side dishes, now is the time to prepare milk thistles, a simple recipe that enhances a little-used ingredient.
Thistles are a winter vegetable whose flavor is reminiscent of the artichoke. They are not found everywhere but if you are lucky enough to get your hands on this magnificent ingredient, then we recommend you try cooking milk thistles. Perfect as a side dish to be served also during the Christmas holidays, they are very common in Emilia Romagna where the Bolognese thistle is grown, more tender than the others and without thorns.
The preparation of milk thistles does not require who knows what effort but just a little attention: first you have to clean them well , removing the filaments, then soak them in water acidulated with lemon juice and finally cook them. There are several ways to prepare stewed milk thistles: some cook them directly in milk, others prefer instead to blanch them in water and lemon to make them more tender. Let’s see together how to proceed in both cases.
How to prepare the milk thistles recipe
- Wash the thistles well, trim them and remove the ribs with the help of a potato peeler.
- Cut them into 5 cm pieces and transfer them to a bowl of water acidulated with the juice of half a lemon . Leave them for 20 minutes .
- Then bring a large pot of water acidulated with the juice of the remaining half of the citrus to a boil and cook the thistles for 20 minutes .
- In a pan heat the oil , add the thistles and brown over high heat for a minute.
- Cover with milk , add salt and flavor with nutmeg .
- Cook over medium-low heat with the lid on for 20-30 minutes until the thistles are tender if skewered with a fork.
- Serve hot, completing to taste with a sprinkling of grated Parmesan cheese .
If you want to skip the boiling step, you can directly cook the thistles with milk by increasing the amount of the latter to one liter . Keep in mind that in both cases the milk will have to reduce, forming a cream. If you want to experiment with other recipes with cardoons, try the amazing parmigiana of cardoons : it will not disappoint you!
You can keep the milk thistles in the refrigerator for 2-3 days and reheat them in a pan or microwave just before consuming them.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Scallops au gratin, a delicious and refined appetizer
Baked scallops au gratin are a refined and delicious fish appetizer, perfect to bring to the table to make a...
Nail shape: which one to choose among the many types?
Rounded? Almond? Let’s see how to choose the right nail shape, based on your needs and the shape of your...
Second hand for Christmas gifts? From abroad, the trend that Gen Z likes
Economical and sustainable, the second hand could be the new solution for Christmas gifts. The relationship of consumers and the...
Christmas broccoli: the traditional recipe for holidays
The recipe for Christmas broccoli, an air of celebration on the tables of Christmas Eve or lunch on December 25th....
Catawiki launches the “House of Gucci” auction to tell the story of the maison
To warm the wait for House of Gucci, the history, objects and collections of the house are up for auction...