Carnival cassatelle are fried ravioli filled with ricotta and chocolate drops typical of Sicily. Here’s how they prepare.
The Cassatelle di Carnevale are a typical Sicilian dessert that resembles the most classic fried sweet ravioli in appearance. The preparation is really simple and starts with a dough made from flour, eggs, butter and sugar flavored with Marsala and lemon . As for the filling, the excellence are the carnival cassatelle with sheep’s milk ricotta, chocolate drops and cinnamon.
Like many Sicilian recipes, in fact, even in this one, the combination of ricotta and chocolate dominates , the same as cassata and cannoli. But the Sicilian carnival cassatelle have something more that you will understand only after trying them. We are about to deliver the original recipe: are you ready to go to work?
How to prepare the recipe for the Carnival waterfall
- Combine the flour, 70 g of sugar, a pinch of cinnamon, the eggs and the melted lard in a bowl.
- Start kneading then add the warm Marsala and the grated lemon zest.
- Once you have a smooth and homogeneous dough, wrap it in cling film and let it rest in the refrigerator for an hour .
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling by mixing the well-drained ricotta with the remaining sugar, a pinch of cinnamon and the chocolate chips.
- Roll out the dough until it reaches a thickness of 2-3 mm then, with a pastry cutter of 8 cm in diameter, make circles.
- Place a teaspoon of filling in the center of each, brush the dough with the beaten egg white and close tightly to seal. To make sure the filling does not come out, also mash with the prongs of a fork .
- It’s time for frying: heat the oil until it reaches 180 ° C and cook these carnival sweets a few at a time. As soon as they are golden and crunchy, drain them with a slotted spoon and pass them on absorbent paper.
- Serve them completing with a sprinkling of icing sugar.
As we have anticipated, you can also make baked Carnival cassatelle, perfect if you don’t like fried desserts. The dough and the filling of this typical Sicilian dessert are the same, while for cooking all you have to do is place the ravioli on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cook them at 180 ° C for 25 minutes until they are golden and crispy. .
Cassatelle can be kept in a tin box for 1-2 days . Be careful because the presence of ricotta could moisten the dough.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Second hand for Christmas gifts? From abroad, the trend that Gen Z likes
Economical and sustainable, the second hand could be the new solution for Christmas gifts. The relationship of consumers and the...
Christmas broccoli: the traditional recipe for holidays
The recipe for Christmas broccoli, an air of celebration on the tables of Christmas Eve or lunch on December 25th....
Catawiki launches the “House of Gucci” auction to tell the story of the maison
To warm the wait for House of Gucci, the history, objects and collections of the house are up for auction...
Have you ever heard of lemon salad?
If you are looking for a light side dish to accompany your richer main courses, the lemon salad is the...
Wheat: why it forms and how to fix it
The wheal is an allergic type manifestation typical of urticaria. Find out how it comes, what it depends on and...