The mini-cutlets of eggplant with aromatic herbs are a delicious finger food and perfect with a sparkling aperitif.
The mini-cutlets of eggplant with aromatic herbs are a vegetarian reinterpretation of chicken cutlets or similar . To ensure that they can be enjoyed as finger food (i.e. food to eat with your hands, perhaps standing up) you need to cut the aubergine into slices that are not too large, or cut the classic round fettona in half.
The breading is enriched with chopped aromatic herbs which gives the aubergine greater freshness. The only precaution to have, before preparing these mini-cutlets , is to put the aubergines in a colander, sprinkled with coarse salt, for a couple of hours, so that they lose their bitter liquid.
Preparation of the mini eggplant cutlets
- To prepare your aubergine mini-cutlets with aromatic herbs, slice the aubergines and carry out the above procedure so that they lose their bitter liquid .
- After the necessary time, rinse them to remove the coarse salt and liquid residues and dry them well on a clean cloth.
- Finely chop the mix of herbs to your liking, then basil, mint, thyme, fresh oregano, parsley, etc.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and add the chopped herbs.
- Prepare the flour and breadcrumbs on two separate plates, in order to facilitate the breading work. Flour the aubergines, then pass them in the egg and finally in the breadcrumbs, repeating the operation once more.
- Heat plenty of sunflower or extra virgin olive oil and fry the aubergines, without overloading, otherwise the oil temperature will drop too much.
- Drain on a few sheets of absorbent paper and serve your mini-cutlets of aubergines with aromatic herbs decorating with a few mint or basil leaves.
Did you like the recipe? To find out some more tips or variations on the preparation, we have also prepared the classic recipe for fried aubergines for you.
These mini aubergines should be eaten as an aperitif or appetizer as soon as they are ready, when the frying is still hot . We do not recommend keeping them in the refrigerator as they will quickly lose all the qualities that make them so good.