The American bagel is the right alternative to the classic sandwich: let’s discover the traditional recipe (of Jewish origin) to prepare it at home!
The bagel is an American sandwich in the shape of a donut and with a very soft texture. This sandwich has a casual feel which makes it perfect if you are planning a brunch at home but are short on time and ideas. It is a versatile food that can be stuffed with both sweet and savory ingredients, making it perfect as an empty fridge idea , if you have forgotten to shop.
It is a donut with an elastic consistency thanks to the first cooking in water. The original recipe includes two types of fillings: a sweet one with peanut butter and fruit jelly and another salty one with salmon and cream cheese. In recent years, due to its convivial aspect, it is spreading a lot in Europe, in fact, more and more often we hear about bagel brunch as a quick and robust alternative to the classic snack. In fact, this sandwich belongs to the Jewish culinary traction: it is a food that spread in America thanks to the Polish migratory waves of the 1900s. Let’s find out all the steps to make it homemade!
Preparation of the American bagel
- Fill a saucepan with water and heat it, avoiding boiling.
- In a bowl, add the butter and the crumbled yeast and pour the water a thread, working the ingredients with a kitchen whisk.
- Add 100 g of flour to the mixture, sift it with a sieve, add 3 tablespoons of sugar with a pinch of salt and continue to work all the ingredients for about 10 minutes. Create a ball with a compact consistency.
- Grease a bowl and let the dough rest for about an hour at room temperature , covering everything with a damp cotton cloth.
- After the necessary time, knead the dough for about 5 minutes and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Make 8 balls from the dough and pierce the center of each of them with the floured index finger, making sure to widen the opening well.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes .
- Fill a saucepan with plenty of water, add the leftover sugar together with a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- When the water has reached the right temperature, dip the donuts and let them cook for 3 minutes on each side.
- After the necessary time, remove the bagels with a kitchen ladle and place them on a previously greased baking sheet.
- In a bowl, work the yolk with a fork until it reaches a creamy and homogeneous consistency.
- Brush the top of the donuts and then sprinkle in the poppy seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C, bake the bagels for about 30 minutes, then raise the temperature to 220 ° C, leaving them to cook for another 5 minutes.
- After cooking, wait for them to cool to be able to cut them better and not ruin their appearance.
A combination that we recommend is with eggs and raw ham or with smoked salmon and fresh rocket. If you are intolerant to gluten , however, you can also prepare the bagel without flour with chia seeds . The choice is yours and enjoy your meal!
If you no longer feel like bread, the bagel is for you. You can store it in a paper bag or food container for about 2 days and in a cool, dry place to keep the texture soft. You can also freeze the bagels in the freezer if they are fresh and let them thaw at room temperature or in the microwave.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Hairstyles for 18 years: some ideas to draw inspiration from
Some nice and quick ideas for the easiest and most beautiful 18 year old hairstyles to wear. Coming of age...
Tiramisu without mascarpone: if you haven’t tasted it yet, you are in time to fix it
The recipe for tiramisu without mascarpone is an alternative to the more classic spoon dessert, here's how to prepare it!...
Shorts know no age and can be worn without worries even at 50
Like love, shorts have no age and are worn even at 50, focusing on the right models. Who said that...
Tasty pumpkin and speck pasta: the first dish of autumn
Do you want delicious first courses? Pasta with pumpkin and speck is the one for you! Here's how to prepare...
Sarcopenia, what it is: symptoms and treatment of the disease
What is sarcopenia? Pathology involving the muscular system, involves a gradual loss of autonomy: symptoms and causes. Sarcopenia is a...
Health1 week ago
Nervous breakdown: how to recognize it and what to do
Fashion1 week ago
Wedding shoes like sparkling: here are the inspo and low cost jewel models
Fashion1 week ago
Ode to the maxi dress of summer 2022, a mix and match of elegance and comfort
Beauty1 week ago
Lip contour: what are the most effective creams and serums?