Baked fennel are a healthy and tasty side dish that can be transformed into an excellent vegan second course.
Baked fennel is a quick recipe to prepare and that doesn’t keep us too busy if we have to entertain guests or at the same time prepare some other more complex dish . Before moving on to the preparation we will delight you with a recipe, to be taken into account when you want to combine vegetables with a wine.
Once upon a time, the tavern-keepers used to offer raw fennel to those who were preparing to buy wine on their premises. They were not generous, they did it because the substances contained in the fennel prevented from appreciating the taste of the wine and not noticing its low quality or its vinegar flavor. From this inelegant habit was born the way of saying “let yourself be fooled”.
No more chatter, it’s time to cook. Let’s move on to the recipe !
Preparation of baked fennel
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° C. Meanwhile, wash the fennel under running water. Eliminate the outermost parts and stems. Wash them again and dry them.
- With a very sharp knife cut them into vertical slices with a thickness of just under one centimeter.
- Prepare a baking tray by lining it with parchment paper (or a special baking dish).
- Place the now dry fennel slices on them and brush them with part of the EVO oil.
- Prepare chopped parsley and add it to the breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
- Separately, emulsify the oil and lemon together, stirring quickly with a fork . Then add the liquid to the dry mixture that will be used to season the vegetables.
- Pour the “breading” over the fennel, give a quick stir and put in the oven for 20-25 minutes . The fennel must begin to brown, as well as the grated breadcrumbs.
- Serve the baked gratin flakes on the table while still hot.
The variants: even lighter or with béchamel
This is a light and very quick side dish to prepare, when you don’t have time but don’t want to give up a portion of vegetables. If you want you can prepare the fennel in the light oven, or better still light, omitting the breadcrumbs . They will be delicious anyway, maybe raise the temperature for a few minutes before taking out of the oven and put the grill or ventilated mode, to form that crust on the surface that will not make you miss the crunchy bread.
If, on the other hand, you want to make the dish more greedy and caloric, you just need to make a winning combination: baked fennel with béchamel. These are also very simple to do, you have to add the béchamel to the pan , perhaps alternating a layer of fennel with one of béchamel (like a delicious lasagna) and at the end add a little breadcrumbs and a drizzle of oil, or simply pouring the liquid in the container and always putting in the oven for about 20-25 minutes . To make it, all you have to do is follow our recipe , or buy it ready-made in the best supermarkets. Also try the version with the addition of extra cheese .
The dish, and its variants, of baked fennel can be kept for about 2 days in the refrigerator in a container with an airtight lid. We do not recommend freezing in the freezer.
Sausage and mushrooms in a pan: a second dish loved by everyone!
For a dish full of flavors, we propose a second course with sausage and mushrooms, to be prepared in a...
Baked cauliflower scented with sage
A seasonal and easy to prepare side dish: baked cauliflower with béchamel scented with sage, perfect to accompany meat dishes....
Tired of the usual side dishes? Try the spinach alla romana
If you don’t know how to cook spinach then this recipe with raisins and pine nuts is perfect for you....
It’s good, soft and simple to make: it’s the legendary focaccia with onions!
Impossible to resist the scent of a freshly baked pan of focaccia with onions. Let’s find out how to prepare...
Embroidered polo shirts: precious allies at work and in your free time
Embroidered polo shirts help to create unique outfits and create personalized clothing for work: how to order them online quickly...
Recipes1 week ago
Salmon nigiri: sushi at your home in a few steps
Recipes1 week ago
French bread miche: “It’s always noon” gives us an ancient recipe
Food1 week ago
All about tamarind: its beneficial effects, its contraindications and how to use it
Fashion1 week ago
Voce Viva, the new fragrance by Valentino: Lady Gaga is the voice and face for the maison