Barbagiuai are ravioli stuffed with pumpkin and sheep’s milk ricotta that are fried in oil. Let’s find out how this Ligurian recipe is prepared.
The recipe of the barbagiuai is typical of the Ligurian hinterland , in particular of the provinces of Imperia and Ventimiglia. However, it seems that their origin is not exactly Italian but instead they came from nearby France. Beyond this, however, the Barbagiuai today have taken citizenship and to prepare them as tradition dictates they serve pumpkin and bruss , a sheep’s milk ricotta with a sour taste typical of the area.
Wanting to describe the barbagiuai we could say that they are a sort of fried pumpkin ravioli served as street food . The filling, in addition to the two ingredients mentioned, can also include grated marjoram and parmesan which give the finished dish a boost of flavor and a unique aroma. As for the name instead, it seems to derive from the skill of a certain uncle ( beard , in dialect) Giovanni ( Giuai ) inventor of the recipe.
How to prepare the barbagiuai recipe
- Cut the pumpkin into slices of a couple of centimeters, remove the seeds but not the skin and place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Season with a drizzle of oil and cook at 180 ° C for 30 minutes or until the pulp is tender.
- Immediately remove the peel and transfer the pumpkin to a blender.
- Reduce it to a puree then add the marjoram, a pinch of salt, a small piece of garlic reduced to pulp, the sheep’s milk ricotta and the Parmesan.
- Mix well to distribute all the flavors and set aside.
- Mix the flour and water by mixing the two ingredients in a bowl first and then on the pastry board. You will need to get a smooth and homogeneous dough .
- Let it rest for 20 minutes under an inverted bowl.
- Then roll it out by hand or with the pasta machine, until the thinnest thickness.
- Spread the piles of filling on half of the pastry, then close, pressing well at the points of contact, just as it is usual to do with ravioli.
- Make the ravioli by cutting the dough with a notched wheel. Don’t worry if they are not accurate, the important thing is that they are good!
- Fry them in abundant seed oil until golden and crunchy.
- Drain them with a slotted spoon and pass them on absorbent paper before serving.
These fried ravioli stuffed with pumpkin are amazing as are many other recipes from Liguria . Try them all and let us know!
Since this is a fried recipe, we do not recommend storing the barbagiuai. Enjoy them freshly made to appreciate their flavor and texture.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
To the north of Italy with the delicious Piedmontese mixed fried fish!
Suitable as a main course or as a single dish, this is what must not be missing in the original...
Vegan and sugar-free chestnuts: the recipe for everyone
The vegan and sugar-free castagnaccio is a reinterpretation of the traditional recipe that makes this dessert suitable for everyone and...
Respiratory insufficiency: how to recognize it and what to do when it occurs
Respiratory failure occurs when the respiratory system is unable to maintain the ratio of oxygen to carbon dioxide, causing the...
Christmas appetizers: the best recipes to bring to the table during the holidays
Delicious Christmas appetizers? Meat, fish, vegetables, hot and cold, we have something for all tastes: here are the recipes for...
Mulled wine, the super fragrant drink that warms up the coldest days
Ingredients and recipe for mulled wine, a very easy drink to make, very fragrant and perfect to serve on the...
Fashion1 week ago
The trends of summer 2022 that will be impossible to resist: fashion revival, bright colors and romantic laces
Fashion1 week ago
Old Money Style: the look of the American way of life goes crazy on Tik Tok
Health1 week ago
Cholinergic urticaria: what it is, how to recognize it and how to treat it
Recipes1 week ago
Homemade, fragrant and delicious: but it’s the olive bread!