Who doesn’t like focaccia? We want to give you a treat to try a particular and easy one to make at home: the pan-fried zucchini focaccia.
The focaccia: a dream enclosed in a mixture of flour and oil typical of Ligurian cuisine but loved and imitated all over the world. However, there is not only the classic version , stuffed in different ways but from traditional cooking and preparation, there is also the focaccia to be prepared in a few minutes, in a pan and without having to wait too long for the leavening. Today we want to present you the recipe for pan-fried zucchini focaccia, an appetizing saucer to use a versatile vegetable which, however, certainly you cannot think that it is similar to the original Ligurian focaccia (and that’s not even the intent).
In order not to miss anything, we tried to cook it in two versions , it’s up to you to tell us which one you prefer! Let’s go and prepare them both in a moment.
Preparation of the zucchini focaccia in a pan
- Let’s start by preparing the zucchini. Wash them and cut them into slices.
- Put a pan on the fire with a drizzle of oil and the finely chopped onion, once toasted add the courgettes, add salt and let them cook for about 5-10 minutes then set the vegetables aside to cool .
- Prepare the dough by adding the flour, water, oil, 1 teaspoon of salt and the baking powder to a bowl.
- Mix everything well until it forms a dough and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Divide it into two parts and roll them out with a rolling pin to form two thin discs.
- Take one of the two discs of dough and place them in an oiled pan over medium heat.
- Add the sliced ham, the cooked courgettes and the sliced mozzarella for pizza.
- Close with the other disc and seal the edges well.
- Let it cook for a few minutes then turn the focaccia upside down with the help of a spatula.
- Cook, turning everything again a couple of times and then serve.
The variant with zucchini in the dough
This version, on the other hand, will be more similar to the focaccia you are used to, recipe number two of our pan-fried focaccia involves the use of fresh brewer’s yeast which will increase the wait by letting it rise for at least 1-2 hours. But let’s go in order:
Ingredients for a pan-fried focaccia
- 340 g of flour
- 160 ml of water
- 6 g of brewer’s yeast
- 1 pinch of sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 courgettes
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
- 100 g of spreadable cheese
- First, dissolve the yeast in the water by adding a pinch of sugar (or honey) in order to activate it properly.
- Now put the flour, the water with the yeast and a teaspoon of fine salt in a bowl and start kneading to obtain a homogeneous dough.
- Wash and finely cut the courgettes and add them to the mixture together with the spreadable cheese .
- Work it in order to incorporate everything well and then leave it to rest in an oiled bowl covered with a cloth for about 1-2 hours .
- When the dough has increased in volume, roll it out between two sheets of parchment paper and place a pan on the lightly greased heat.
- Place the focaccia in the pan so that one of the two sheets of parchment paper adheres to the bottom and remove the second sheet.
- Let it cook for a few minutes then turn the focaccia upside down and remove, without burning yourself, the other sheet of parchment paper.
- Let it cook for about 5 minutes, turn the focaccia once more and then serve.
How about these two versions? In our opinion, they are better than the other and they honor the many recipes with zucchini designed for you.
Both versions can be stored in the refrigerator for about 2-3 days , in a special food container. We do not recommend freezing in the freezer.