Originating from the Val di Susa, the original recipe for Cajettes involves a dough made with bread, but they are also successful as excellent potato gnocchi.
The cajettes were born in Rochemolles , in the Val di Susa. They are one of the most traditional Piedmontese dishes and have a long history. The original recipe, in fact, dates back to the nineteenth century : at that time, stale bread was used to create these particular and large gnocchi. Over the years, however, the version that includes the use of potatoes in the dough has also been consolidated. Also known as Piedmontese cajettes , they are successful in the rest of the Italian territory for their simple preparation. The peculiarity lies in the method of processing the potatoes, which are grated raw.
Let’s fasten the apron and go ahead!
Preparation of the recipe for Cajettes
- Start by washing the potatoes and peeling them. Then, take a large hole grater to grate it .
- Once done, put the result in a colander, so as to drain the excess starch.
- Meanwhile, fill a pan with a drizzle of oil.
- Chop the onion and cut the salami into small pieces and place in the pan to brown.
- Move the potatoes to a bowl and add an egg , 40 g of flour and a pinch of salt . Jumbled up.
- Also add the grated parmesan , the sautéed with salami and continue stirring to mix the dough.
- Once done, transfer to the fridge to let everything rest for 1 hour .
- Then, take it back and take a little of the dough at a time with a spoon. With a second spoon shape the dumpling.
- As you create them, roll them in flour and place them on a plate (spaced apart).
- Fill a saucepan with water and, when it reaches a boil, pour the gnocchi inside.
- When they rise to the surface, cook for another 30 minutes , simmering the water.
- In a separate pan, put a knob of butter , more grated cheese and a few tablespoons of cooking water. Cook to melt everything.
- Drain the gnocchi and place them in a baking dish and sprinkle with the sauce created. You can season them to your liking and serve them.
Variant of the Cajettes of bread
The original recipe calls for the preparation of Piedmontese bread gnocchi. Replace the potatoes with 250 g of stale rye bread. Just cut it into cubes and soak it in milk. After squeezing it, put it in a bowl adding the rest of the ingredients and create the dough as in the recipe just described.
You can keep the cajettes in an airtight container, keeping them in the fridge for a maximum of 1-2 days . If necessary, heat them before serving.
If you liked it, try the classic gnocchi too !
Sausage and mushrooms in a pan: a second dish loved by everyone!
For a dish full of flavors, we propose a second course with sausage and mushrooms, to be prepared in a...
Baked cauliflower scented with sage
A seasonal and easy to prepare side dish: baked cauliflower with béchamel scented with sage, perfect to accompany meat dishes....
Tired of the usual side dishes? Try the spinach alla romana
If you don’t know how to cook spinach then this recipe with raisins and pine nuts is perfect for you....
It’s good, soft and simple to make: it’s the legendary focaccia with onions!
Impossible to resist the scent of a freshly baked pan of focaccia with onions. Let’s find out how to prepare...
Embroidered polo shirts: precious allies at work and in your free time
Embroidered polo shirts help to create unique outfits and create personalized clothing for work: how to order them online quickly...
Recipes1 week ago
Salmon nigiri: sushi at your home in a few steps
Recipes1 week ago
French bread miche: “It’s always noon” gives us an ancient recipe
Food1 week ago
All about tamarind: its beneficial effects, its contraindications and how to use it
Fashion1 week ago
Voce Viva, the new fragrance by Valentino: Lady Gaga is the voice and face for the maison