The Savoy cake is made up of 5 layers of biscuit dough alternating with chocolate cream. Typical of Sicily, it is an amazing chocolate cake.
When it comes to chocolate cakes, it is impossible not to remember the Savoy cake, a triumph of sweetness with layers of biscuit dough alternating with three different chocolate fillings, all covered with a chocolate glaze. Difficult to prepare? Absolutely not, just a minimum of organization and you will have a perfect dessert even for more important occasions .
You are probably wondering why this dessert is called that. As always when it comes to tradition, the origins are rather uncertain. The most accredited hypothesis is that it was prepared for the first time by the Benedictine nuns to celebrate the annexation of Sicily to the Kingdom of Italy , but others claim that it was a pastry chef from Palermo who created it for the first time. What is indisputable is her goodness and we invite you to try it as soon as possible: every day without her is a wasted day!
How to prepare the Savoy cake with the original recipe
- First, prepare the cookie dough. With the electric whisk or with the planetary mixer fitted with a wire whisk, whip the eggs with the sugar until they are clear and frothy.
- Combine the sifted flour with the cornstarch , stirring gently from the bottom up to avoid disassembling the mixture.
- Then pour it on two baking sheets (dripping pans are fine) lined with parchment paper and level the surface.
- Bake at 180 ° C for 12 minutes , one pan at a time.
- Meanwhile, melt the three types of chocolates in a bain-marie.
- Then put them in a bowl and add in order: hazelnut flour, icing sugar, cocoa, milk and butter at room temperature. Mix until you get a homogeneous cream.
- Also prepare the syrup by dissolving the remaining sugar in the water and adding the rum . Bring to a boil then turn off.
- Make 5 discs from the biscuit dough, all of the same size. You can use a plate or a special ring. They should be roughly 20-22cm .
- Place the first one on a serving dish, brush it with the syrup and cover with a layer of cream . For convenience, you can also transfer it to a pastry bag with a smooth nozzle.
- Continue like this until the last layer of biscuit dough soaked in the rum syrup.
- Melt the dark chocolate for the cocoa butter topping , then use the icing to cover the cake. Make sure it runs well on the edges as well.
- Once cold and solidified, you can serve it.
This dessert is really refined and delicious, but in our opinion it also plays very well with the seven-ply cake . Which do you prefer?
The Savoy cake can be kept for 2-3 days in the refrigerator . Better to store it in an airtight container or inside the special bell for sweets.