The Savoy cake is made up of 5 layers of biscuit dough alternating with chocolate cream. Typical of Sicily, it is an amazing chocolate cake.
When it comes to chocolate cakes, it is impossible not to remember the Savoy cake, a triumph of sweetness with layers of biscuit dough alternating with three different chocolate fillings, all covered with a chocolate glaze. Difficult to prepare? Absolutely not, just a minimum of organization and you will have a perfect dessert even for more important occasions .
You are probably wondering why this dessert is called that. As always when it comes to tradition, the origins are rather uncertain. The most accredited hypothesis is that it was prepared for the first time by the Benedictine nuns to celebrate the annexation of Sicily to the Kingdom of Italy , but others claim that it was a pastry chef from Palermo who created it for the first time. What is indisputable is her goodness and we invite you to try it as soon as possible: every day without her is a wasted day!
How to prepare the Savoy cake with the original recipe
- First, prepare the cookie dough. With the electric whisk or with the planetary mixer fitted with a wire whisk, whip the eggs with the sugar until they are clear and frothy.
- Combine the sifted flour with the cornstarch , stirring gently from the bottom up to avoid disassembling the mixture.
- Then pour it on two baking sheets (dripping pans are fine) lined with parchment paper and level the surface.
- Bake at 180 ° C for 12 minutes , one pan at a time.
- Meanwhile, melt the three types of chocolates in a bain-marie.
- Then put them in a bowl and add in order: hazelnut flour, icing sugar, cocoa, milk and butter at room temperature. Mix until you get a homogeneous cream.
- Also prepare the syrup by dissolving the remaining sugar in the water and adding the rum . Bring to a boil then turn off.
- Make 5 discs from the biscuit dough, all of the same size. You can use a plate or a special ring. They should be roughly 20-22cm .
- Place the first one on a serving dish, brush it with the syrup and cover with a layer of cream . For convenience, you can also transfer it to a pastry bag with a smooth nozzle.
- Continue like this until the last layer of biscuit dough soaked in the rum syrup.
- Melt the dark chocolate for the cocoa butter topping , then use the icing to cover the cake. Make sure it runs well on the edges as well.
- Once cold and solidified, you can serve it.
This dessert is really refined and delicious, but in our opinion it also plays very well with the seven-ply cake . Which do you prefer?
The Savoy cake can be kept for 2-3 days in the refrigerator . Better to store it in an airtight container or inside the special bell for sweets.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Baccalà alla cappuccina: a rich dish of the Italian tradition
Cod alla cappuccina is a delicious dish based on fish and polenta, typical of the cuisine of Friuli and Veneto....
Blood loss before your period: what they can indicate
Bleeding before your period can be completely normal. Let's find out why it happens and how to act. When we...
Trout in foil: for a simple and tasty fish dish!
We enjoy a light but very tasty second course, trout in foil, easy to prepare and ideal for fish lovers....
Let’s prepare the babka, the Jewish cake in the shape of a braid
Babka is a leavened cake rich in taste and which is becoming more and more known also in Italy. Let's...
Chickpea cutlet: ingredients and tips for preparing a special dish
The chickpea cutlet recipe is specially designed for those looking for a delicious dish to alternate with meat or fish...