Do you need a dessert for a special occasion? The clock cake is the one for you, suitable for birthdays and New Year’s parties, it will not disappoint you!
We think everyone as children dreamed of receiving a birthday clock cake. It was usually a chocolate cake, with a frosted dial, showing the age you were about to reach with the minute hands, and the rest covered with cream and chocolate stars. The recipe for the clock cake we want to make is a version that lends itself well not only to birthday parties but also for other great occasions .
This is the adult version enriched by the presence of cognac . Can’t wait to taste this fun and festive New Year’s clock cake?!? Let’s see together how to make the recipe for the chocolate, black cherry and cognac-flavored clock-shaped cake with and without the Thermomix.
Preparation of the clock cake
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C and line two 2 x 20 cm cake tins with a baking paper ring on the bottom.
- Use a hand whisk or blender to whisk the cocoa powder and boiling water together until you get a smooth paste.
- Also add the eggs, whole milk, self-raising flour, teaspoon of baking powder, soft unsalted butter and granulated sugar.
- Beat until the dough is smooth and distribute it evenly between the cake pans.
- Shake each mold lightly to remove any air bubbles and cook for 25-30 minutes until the sponge cake is cooked. Check the cakes by opening the oven door only after 20 minutes, otherwise they could sink in the middle.
- Set them aside to cool on a wire rack, removing them from the mold as soon as the metal has cooled enough to be touched.
- In the meantime, prepare the buttercream by beating the salted butter at room temperature, the icing sugar and the cognac with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth.
- To assemble the cake , place the flattest sponge cake on a cake stand. Spread on 1/4 of the buttercream, then an equal amount of jam, keeping about 1 cm of cleanliness around the edges. The jam will roll out when you put the other sponge cake on top.
- Spread another 1/4 of the buttercream on top of the cake, trying to keep the surface clean and smooth, and taking it over the edge of the sponge cake for a neat finish.
- Cover the sides of the cake with the remaining buttercream.
- Cover the top of the cake with the ready-made chocolate glaze and let it dry.
- Then decorate with shortbread cookies in the shape of a number, hands and stars, which you can prepare with our recipe and serve.
Clock cake with Thermomix
- In the Thermomix jug, pour the granulated sugar and add the unsalted butter into chunks and blend for 1 minute on speed 5.
- Pour in the whole eggs and work on speed 4 for 2 minutes.
- Sift the flour and add the milk and baking powder and mix for 30 seconds on speed 3.
- Take the two cake molds and grease and flour the bottom. Pour the mixture inside and cook in a static oven at 180 ° C for about 30 minutes.
- For the buttercream, add the salted butter at room temperature, the icing sugar and the cognac and blend on speed 3 for 1 minute.
- To assemble the cake, follow the same steps as for the standard preparation, remembering to also cover the sides with the butter cream.
- Pour the chocolate glaze on the surface, as done before and decorate with the shortbread cookies before serving.
This clock cake can be stored for up to one week in the refrigerator. Freezing is not recommended.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Baccalà alla cappuccina: a rich dish of the Italian tradition
Cod alla cappuccina is a delicious dish based on fish and polenta, typical of the cuisine of Friuli and Veneto....
Blood loss before your period: what they can indicate
Bleeding before your period can be completely normal. Let's find out why it happens and how to act. When we...
Trout in foil: for a simple and tasty fish dish!
We enjoy a light but very tasty second course, trout in foil, easy to prepare and ideal for fish lovers....
Let’s prepare the babka, the Jewish cake in the shape of a braid
Babka is a leavened cake rich in taste and which is becoming more and more known also in Italy. Let's...
Chickpea cutlet: ingredients and tips for preparing a special dish
The chickpea cutlet recipe is specially designed for those looking for a delicious dish to alternate with meat or fish...