It is one of the most common female diseases. It causes burning sensation, pain and frequent urination. You can cure cystitis with natural remedies. Find out which ones!
Cystits is a bladder infection which often affects women. Every woman has suffered from it at least once in her life. It is usually caused by Escherichia coli, a bacterium which lives in the latter part of the intestine. This disease is quite annoying but not serious.
There are two types of cystitis: interstitial and hemorrhagic. The first one is a chronic dysfunction of the pelvic side-walls which lasts up to 6 months. The second type, instead, causes infection and hematuria and it is commonly known as cystitis with blood.
If you are suffering from cystitis, you feel like your bladder is full, you need to pee often and you have a burning sensation in the lower abdomen. Moreover, you can also have fever, smelly urine and also blood in it.
This urinary tract infection also affects men, but it is not that common.
As soon as you feel the first symptoms, you should see your doctor, who will give you the right cure. However, to relieve the discomfort we can also resort to some of grandma’s old remedies.
We will have a look on the natural methods to fight cystitis, to have immediate relief and to help the medicines described by our doctor. However, before understanding how to treat it, it is important to know the causes of this disease, in order to avoid cystitis.
Sometimes, this infection is a side effect of other disease such as diabetes, estrogen deficiency and renal colics. In some women, it also occurs as soon as they start taking oral contraceptives. You should consider changing it. In other cases, cystitis occurs after having worn a damp swimming suit for a long time or for having exchanged towels.
In order to avoid cystitis, remember to: always have clean hands, do not hold pee back for too long, and always carry disinfectant wipes.
Moreover, a correct hygiene is fundamental to prevent this infection, but you should not overdo it in order to avoid weakening your bacterial flora.
Remember to wash your private parts from front to back, in order to avoid moving bacteria from your rectum.
Natural remedies against cystitis
1. Drink a lot of water. Usually, this infection affects women who don’t drink enough. Drinking water is very important, but in case of cystitis you should drink at least 2 liters of water a day. You can also add some lemon juice, if you like. More water allows more hydration, which will let you pee more. In this way, you will expel more bacteria in less time.
2. Blueberry juice. You should drink it at least twice a day, as it is a real panacea against cystitis. Blueberries have purifying, disinfectant, diuretic and antiseptic properties. Moreover, they are rich in tannins, acids, trace elements and flavonoids. Finally, they also have vasoprotective, antiviral and astringent powers. Its proanthocyanidins help preventing this infection by blocking the E. coli from attaching to the urinar ysystem and bladder cells.
Be careful if you take blood thinners, because black blueberry juice could interfere with this medicines. Always ask your doctor for advice. Instead of its juice, you can also drink a herbal tea. Buy blueberry leaves and leave them infuse for 15 minutes in hot water.
3. Mallow/calendula herbal tea. These two plants are well-known for their soothing properties, even for internal use. One of the most natural and easy to make natural remedies is mallow herbal tea. It has soothing, relieving, emollient properties. Just let infuse 15g of this plant for every half a liter of water. For a stronger effect, you can also add calendula leaves, which has antimicrobial properties. Drink at least two or three times a day.
4. Food supplements. If you are particularly sensitive to cystitis, maybe you should consider taking supplements, always after having asked your doctor. Usually, people take mannose, which blocks bacteria from attacking the bladder, just like red blueberries and bearberry do. If taken orally, this substance can interact with the bacterial structures and hinder their proliferation. However, avoid overdoses: you can suffer from abdominal pains, flatulence and diarrhea.
5. Chamomile. You can either drink it or use it to wash your private parts. Thanks to is anti-inflammatory and soothing properties, this plant relieves cystitis symptoms and speeds recovery up. It is one of the most common remedies against this infection. Boil at least 50g of chamomile flowers in two liters of water and wash your intimate parts with it before going to sleep.
6. Baking soda. This remedy is perfect to let the inflammation disappear. Dissolve a tablespoon of this substance in a glass of water and drink it at least 5 times a day. This method is not recommended in case of hypertension or heart problems.
7. Bearberry. This herbal medicine remedy is very good against cystitits. Researchers showed that bearberries helps preventing cystitis and speeds recovery up thanks to its content of phenolic glycosides (arbutin and methyarbutin). Always ask your doctor before taking them, as you should avoid them during pregnancy and breastfeeding and in case of serious kidney problems.
8. Use condoms. When your private parts are infected, it is better to use contraceptives, even with your partner. If the area is particularly inflamed and painful, it is better to avoid intercourse until you have recovered. Moreover, a perfect hygiene before and after is fundamental, even if you use condoms.
What to eat when suffering from cystitis?
You already know that following a healthy diet benefits all the body on the long run, but it is especially true if you are suffering from this infection. In order to prevent it or reduce the inflammation, you absolutey need to eat healthy and balanced.
Taking a lot of fruit, vegetebles and fibers helps regulating the intestine and promotes a quicker stool expulsion. If feces remain in the intestine for too long, your private parts are exposed to their bacteria for more time.
Moreover, fruits and vegetables give us vitamins and mineral salts which keep us hydrated and help reinforcing our immune defenses. You should always eat parsley, celery, fennel and asparagus. Choose probiotic foods such as yogurt, which is a valuable ally of our intestinal flora.
What to avoid eating when suffering from cystitis?
In this case, it is better to avoid refined sugars, which can promote bacterial proliferation. Wait for your complete recovery before eating spicy foods, coffee, alcohol, spices, vinegar and chocolate, as they could inflame your urinary tract. You should avoid all those foods which can be difficult to digest, such as fried and very fatty foods.
Photo source: https://pixabay.com/it/stomaco-pancia-perdere-peso-2437890/,