The history of candy canes for the Christmas tree is lost in time but what not everyone knows is that they can be prepared at home!
Candy canes, also known as candy cane, are a typical American product. Or at least that’s what they say overseas! In fact, it seems that they were commissioned for the first time back in 1670 by the director of the choir of the Cologne Cathedral, tired of hearing children roar during the services. So he thought of asking a candy maker to make sticks that resembled the shepherds’ stick in shape and in color the purity in which Jesus lived.
To get more accurate historical data we need to move to Massachusetts. We are in 1837 when for the first time the crystallized candy canes are put on sale, but we have to wait until 1882 before the American candies are used as a decoration for the Christmas tree . Today the white and pink candy cane has become the symbol of parties all over the world but what not everyone knows is that they can be prepared at home. Like? Let’s find out together!
How to make Christmas candy canes
- The preparation is quite simple but requires some attention. Start by pouring the sugar and water into a saucepan.
- Mix well then add the cream of tartar and corn syrup .
- Transfer to medium heat and, stirring with a spatula, wait for the sugar to dissolve. Be careful that no sugar remains on the edges or it will crystallize ruining the recipe.
- After about 10 minutes, measure the temperature of the mixture: it must reach 150 ° C. If you don’t have a thermometer, you can wait for it to start boiling.
- Remove from the heat and only when it has stopped boiling pour in the mint (or cinnamon) flavor .
- Cover a top, in wood or even better in marble, with parchment paper and oil it well.
- Pour in the sugar syrup and let it set for 2 minutes.
- Knead it with a tarot to make it cool faster, kneading as you usually do with leavened products.
- As soon as it has cooled down, put on the silicone gloves and divide it into two equal parts .
- To one of them add the red dye and knead so that it colors evenly.
- You then have to work the loaves so that they become very shiny. To do this, give it the shape of a cylinder and stretch it with your hands. Fold in half and pull again. Proceed like this until it is too hard to do.
- With the white, form a rectangular 3 cm thick dough.
- Do the same thing with the red and then cut it into two strips.
- Place them on top of the white dough, on the sides, then remove it and put one on top of the other so that the red is on the outside.
- Form a long cylinder by thinning it gradually.
- Then cut the sticks, give them the classic shape and let them dry on parchment paper.
You can use candy canes for the Christmas tree or as a parcel marker. In addition, to revive the childish soul in you, you can also prepare a beautiful gingerbread house .
Candy canes really keep very long. Just store them in a cool, dry place to keep them over 2 months. If you decide to use them to decorate the tree instead, we advise you to throw them away at the end of the holidays.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Scallops au gratin, a delicious and refined appetizer
Baked scallops au gratin are a refined and delicious fish appetizer, perfect to bring to the table to make a...
Nail shape: which one to choose among the many types?
Rounded? Almond? Let’s see how to choose the right nail shape, based on your needs and the shape of your...
Second hand for Christmas gifts? From abroad, the trend that Gen Z likes
Economical and sustainable, the second hand could be the new solution for Christmas gifts. The relationship of consumers and the...
Christmas broccoli: the traditional recipe for holidays
The recipe for Christmas broccoli, an air of celebration on the tables of Christmas Eve or lunch on December 25th....
Catawiki launches the “House of Gucci” auction to tell the story of the maison
To warm the wait for House of Gucci, the history, objects and collections of the house are up for auction...