Is diet bread a thing? Yes, it’s not a contradiction and it’s spreading more and more!
Bread is one of the most eaten foods in the world. It enhances some flavors, it’s convenient and it’s tasty also on its own. Moreover, it’s the perfect “tool” to mop up your plate when you finish your meal!
Bread: nutritional properties
This food is rich in carbohydrates, so you better not eat it in large quantities. This is the reason why most diets forbid it. On the market there are many types of bread, so it’s normal not to know which is the healthiest one.
Bread is made with flour, water, salt and yeast. All these products have many nutritional properties. So this food contains not only carbohydrates, but also fibers, amino acids, minerals (iron, calcium) and vitamins E and B3. Actually, many nutritionists recommend to eat it, due to its content of carbohydrates and fibers.
Diet bread: the most recommended ones
A balanced diet allows 50-60 grams of bread for each meal. However, each type of this food has different features. For example, 100gr of white bread contains about 290 calories, while 100gr of wholewheat one has 50 calories less.
Therefore, the best diet bread is the one with different types of cereals, made with wholewheat flour. Let’s learn something more:
– Rye bread. It’s the best one. This product is dark, compact and with a low calorie content. It’s very tasty and you can use it both for sweet or savory recipes. It’s rich in fibers, which improve the metabolism, and contains much more minerals and vitamins, such as potassium, magnesium, phosphor and calcium.
– Wholewheat bread. In order to make the flour for this product, it is used the entire cereal grain. That is why its color is darker. It makes you feel full quickly and stimulates lazy intestine. Recently, markets has started selling a new type of bread, made with white wholewheat, which replaced the red one. It can be a good alternative, but you should always read the label!
– Oatmeal bread. Light and nice, its high content of fibers helps lowering cholesterol and calories.
– Multigrain bread. Rich in vitamins and minerals, this product is perfect for people on a diet, because it contains a high quantity of fibers, useful for the muscles.
Instead, the worst type of bread is sliced bread. It’s an industrial product which contains a lot of chemicals, other than being very fat.
Homemade diet bread: the recipe
– 100gr of wholewheat first clear flour
– 1 glass of lukewarm water
– 1 cube of brewer’s yeast
– 1 teaspoon of sugar (optional)
– 10gr of salt
-1 tablespoon of olive oil
Sift the flour and salt together. Dissolve the yeast in the glass of lukewarm water, then add the sugar if you want. Add oil to the flour and, slowly, water. The dough should be compact and not sticky.
Cover it, store in a warm place and let it raise for almost 1 hour and a half. Then, cut the dough into loaves and let it raise for another hour. Finally, cook for 30 minutes at 250° C.
Photo source: https://pixabay.com/it/pane-cereali-avena-orzo-grano-1417868/, https://pixabay.com/it/pane-pane-multicereali-3484107/