Whether it is meat or spinach, burek remains one of the most popular dishes in Turkish cuisine. Here’s how to prepare it with the original recipe.
The burek (or börek) is a dish of Turkish origin which has then gradually spread to the rest of the world due to the simplicity of preparation and the unique flavor. In reality, in its country of origin, the term indicates the rolled shape that is given to the pastry and therefore is followed by another word that also indicates the filling.
The most common type of borek is the one with a minced meat-based filling which, in predominantly Muslim countries, is never pork. Another variant instead provides that it is prepared with a filling based on feta and spinach . The basic dough, the yufka , or the phyllo dough, remains unchanged.
Let’s see together how to cook this delicious savory pie with oriental scents!
How to prepare the burek recipe
For this preparation you need the sheets of phyllo dough , which are increasingly easier to find in the supermarket in the ready-made sheets department or online. They are delicate and tend to dry out easily, so once you open the package I recommend you use it immediately . If you can’t find the filo pastry, you can make it at home with our recipe !
- Finely chop the onion and brown it in a pan with the oil until it is tender and transparent.
- Then add the spinach , cover with the lid and let them dry without adding water. When they are tender, uncover and evaporate the excess liquids – which could compromise the success of the dish.
- Let them cool, and add the crumbled feta with your hands; season with salt and pepper .
- Unroll the sheets of phyllo dough, and overlap two of them brushing in the middle with melted butter . Lay with a little filling two cm from the long edge to form a strip, then roll up tightly .
- Arrange the cylinder thus obtained inside the pan, starting from the center and forming a sort of snail that you will complete by gradually preparing other rolls with the remaining ingredients.
- Brush with milk and bake at 200 ° C for 20 minutes . If you like, you can decorate the surface with sesame seeds.
As anticipated, you can also prepare the burek with meat: we suggest you get about 1 kg of minced meat ( beef or mixed pork, you choose). Cook it in a pan with a sautéed onion and blend with white wine before using it as a filling for the phyllo dough.
This typical dish can also be kept for 2-3 days in the refrigerator, inside a special food container with an airtight lid. We do not recommend freezing in the freezer.