Special and suitable for homemade pasta, let’s find out how the tasty Lucanian ragù is prepared.
Italian cuisine is rich in flavors, from North to South. Each region has typical products linked to the single territory. All genuine components and which, together, give life to dishes full of nutritional properties. Today, we dedicate ourselves to the culinary tradition of Basilicata and, in particular, to the preparation of a very special first course . We are talking about the Basilicata ragù and the history that precedes it.
With very ancient origins, this recipe has firm roots in the Lucania tradition. In this region of Italy, the sauce is prepared with fresh and quality meat , which can also be served second. Not chopped pieces are used, but whole pieces , just like the Neapolitan ragù. Mainly, veal or lamb is used, but pork or chicken is also excellent. From orecchiette to cavatelli, passing through strascinati, try it with the one you prefer!
Preparation of the recipe for the Basilicata ragù
- To start, take the pork pulp and flatten it with the meat tenderizer.
- Chop 2 cloves of garlic and parsley and distribute them over the meat.
- Also add the pecorino , grating it or cutting it into small pieces.
- Spread the bacon on top .
- Roll up the meat and wrap it in kitchen string to keep it closed, before sprinkling some pepper .
- Take a pan or, better still, a crock pot, and pour 50 ml of oil . Put a clove of garlic and fry .
- Once done, remove it and put the meat to brown for 5 minutes .
- Deglaze with a glass of red wine and let it evaporate.
- Add the peeled tomatoes and salt (in the quantity you prefer) and cook over low heat for about 1-2 hours , closing with the lid .
- Once ready, use the sauce to season the pasta. If you need help you can cut the meat into small pieces in case it hasn’t come undone well enough .
The great Lucanian ragù must obviously be served hot. If you do it in large quantities, however, you can keep a part of it and use it when needed. After preparing it, put it in airtight containers and keep it for 2-3 days in the fridge . To keep it more time, you can freeze it .
Another delicious recipe in terms of sauces is that of the seitan ragù !