Canestrelli are typical biscuits from northern Italy, characterized by a coating of powdered sugar and a dough with firm yolks.
Canestrelli are typical biscuits from different areas of Italy, but above all from Piedmont and Liguria . The etymology of the name is uncertain: according to some it derives from the term “ basket ” a wicker basket inside which they were placed to cool, according to others it refers to the particular mold used for their preparation.
What matters, however, is the goodness of the dessert: there are many types of biscuits but none are comparable to canestrelli. The secret of the canestrelli recipe lies in the presence in the dough of firm egg yolks that give flavor but above all color. An intense scent of vanilla and lemon is then perceived which makes these biscuits perfect to accompany tea or coffee.
How to prepare canestrelli with the original recipe
- Combine the butter at room temperature, sugar , vanilla , lemon zest and a pinch of salt in a bowl and whisk everything with an electric whisk until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the crumbled egg yolks with your hands and incorporate them with the electric whisk.
- Finally pour in the flour and starch , finishing kneading first with a spatula and then by hand.
- Once you have a dough, wrap it in plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- Then roll it out on a floured surface until it reaches a thickness of half a centimeter .
- With the special mold, make the biscuits and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Make a small hole in the center.
- Put it back in the fridge for 15 minutes so that the dough is very cold when you go to bake.
- Then bake the biscuits at 180 ° C for 10 minutes .
- Let them cool on the baking tray before transferring them to a tin box: as soon as they are baked they are very delicate. And don’t forget to cover them with plenty of powdered sugar !
If you liked the canestrelli recipe, we suggest you take a look at the other biscuit recipes and you will surely find the one that’s right for you.
Canestrelli can be kept in a tin box for up to a month . They are therefore ideal if you are looking for some gastronomic gift.
Sausage and mushrooms in a pan: a second dish loved by everyone!
For a dish full of flavors, we propose a second course with sausage and mushrooms, to be prepared in a...
Baked cauliflower scented with sage
A seasonal and easy to prepare side dish: baked cauliflower with béchamel scented with sage, perfect to accompany meat dishes....
Tired of the usual side dishes? Try the spinach alla romana
If you don’t know how to cook spinach then this recipe with raisins and pine nuts is perfect for you....
It’s good, soft and simple to make: it’s the legendary focaccia with onions!
Impossible to resist the scent of a freshly baked pan of focaccia with onions. Let’s find out how to prepare...
Embroidered polo shirts: precious allies at work and in your free time
Embroidered polo shirts help to create unique outfits and create personalized clothing for work: how to order them online quickly...
Recipes1 week ago
Salmon nigiri: sushi at your home in a few steps
Food1 week ago
All about tamarind: its beneficial effects, its contraindications and how to use it
Recipes1 week ago
French bread miche: “It’s always noon” gives us an ancient recipe
Fashion1 week ago
Voce Viva, the new fragrance by Valentino: Lady Gaga is the voice and face for the maison