Duffin is one of Americans’ favorite breakfast desserts: we offer you the original recipe and the savory version.
The duffin is a cross between a muffin and a donut with sugar , whose butter-laden batter results in a light, melt-in-your-mouth texture that is a delight. Paired with a tasty cappuccino, the Duffin is perfect for a student’s dizzying study sessions. Of course it is equally tasty for breakfast, dessert or as an afternoon snack.
The flavor of stuffed duffins is very reminiscent of fried donuts, but, differently, they are baked in the oven. Their filling can be either with cocoa cream (or Nutella) or with one of your favorite jams to make them even more delicious. Let’s see together how to prepare these duffins in their sweet and savory version.
Preparation of duffins
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C. Lightly brush a 12-hole muffin mold with seed oil.
- Put all the ingredients for the duffins, except the jam or the chocolate cream, in a large bowl and beat well with an electric whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the mixture to each muffin hole, leaving about a third of the mixture for the top.
- With a teaspoon take a dip in the center of each duffin, but be careful not to go too deep otherwise the jam will come out of the bottom. Add to each a scant teaspoon of jam or chocolate cream.
- Cover the bottom with a little more dough and roll it out well to make sure the filling is covered.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until they are leavened, golden and just firm to the touch.
- Let the cooked duffins rest in the pan for a few minutes before removing them. While they are still hot, you can gently dip them in a sugar and cinnamon mixture to decorate if you like.
- Let them cool a little before serving, do not eat them as soon as they come out of the oven because the jam will be very hot!
Preparation and ingredients salty version
Now let’s see together the preparation of savory duffins. Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 1 egg
- 1 plain yogurt
- 60 g of butter
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 150 g of flour
- 1 and a half teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon of pecorino
- 100 g of diced smoked cheese
- 100 g of diced bacon
- salt and pepper
- 1 sprig of rosemary for decoration
- In a pan, cook the bacon for a few minutes and set it aside.
- In a bowl, mix the egg with the yogurt and milk. Add the melted butter and mix.
- Add the sifted flour with the baking powder and mix with a hand whisk until a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- Add the grated cheeses, the pancetta, a pinch of pepper and salt and half of the scamorza and mix.
- Grease a muffin tin . Fill the cavities with half the dough, place a few cubes of smoked cheese in the center. Cover with the remaining dough.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 ° C for 20 minutes. Always do the toothpick test to check the cooking.
- Cool in the mold for 10 minutes and serve warm with a sprig of rosemary previously washed in cold running water.
Duffins, both sweet and savory, keep for about a couple of days at room temperature. Once cooled completely, it is also possible to freeze them wrapped in aluminum foil.