The filo pastry and apple bundles are crunchy and delicious, perfect for when you are in the mood for something sweet.
The apple and phyllo pastry dumplings are delicious served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You can also substitute cinnamon for vanilla and add raisins and pine nuts to create a delicious little strudel-like, or vary the fruit by using pears or plums and maybe a sprinkling of chopped walnuts or almonds. The difficulty of this recipe is to handle the phyllo dough which is extremely thin and dries immediately in the air. So be gentle and pull out one sheet at a time, keeping the others covered as you work. If it starts to dry out, moisten it by wiping it with wet fingers. Buckle up your aprons and let’s go cook.
Preparation of the phyllo dough and apple bundles
- Put the butter in the microwave for a few seconds, until it just melts.
- Wash the apples, peel them, cut them into wedges and remove the core .
- Cut each clove into very thin slices and place them in a bowl.
- Cut the vanilla bean with the tip of a knife, open it to a booklet and scrape it in order to obtain the seeds, add them to the apples.
- Pour the sugar and apple juice into the bowl as well. Mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C.
- Prepare a very large sheet of parchment paper and open it on the work surface . Brush it with melted butter and place a sheet of phyllo dough on it.
- Brush the sheet of pasta and phyllo with the melted butter and sprinkle it with a pinch of brown sugar . Overlap the first sheet of phyllo dough with a second one, brush again, another pinch of sugar and overlap a third sheet.
- With a knife cut the overlapping sheets into four equal rectangles.
- In the center of each rectangle pour a quarter of the apples, then lift the corners and bring them together to form a bundle similar to that of sugared almonds.
- Tie it with kitchen twine so that it stays firmly in place.
- Brush the outside of the bundles with butter as well .
- Place the bundles on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Put in the oven and cook for 10-13 minutes, the bundles must be golden brown.
- Take out of the oven, let it cool for two minutes and serve immediately on the table.
If you want to raise the bar you can also start by making a delicious phyllo dough at home , and then proceed with the preparation of the bundles.
This recipe can be kept for about 1 day (maximum 2) out of the refrigerator and in a dry place away from sources of light and heat. We do not recommend freezing in the freezer.