The lemon roll is a dessert prepared with biscuit dough and soft cream based on cream and mascarpone scented with citrus.
When it comes to fresh desserts , there are some that must absolutely be taken into consideration for their speed of preparation and delicacy. Among these is the lemon roll, a dessert that in its simplicity will be able to conquer everyone. The fresh flavor of citrus in fact makes it suitable for all occasions, from a family snack to a lunch with friends.
If you then add that preparing the roll with lemon cream requires the only cooking of the biscuit dough (only 10 minutes in the oven) then you just can’t resist. Just a touch of green given by the mint leaves and your lemon roll is ready to be served. Here’s how we do it.
How to prepare the lemon roll recipe
- First you need to prepare the biscuit dough. Divide the egg whites from the yolks and whip the first ones until stiff peaks with half the sugar .
- Also work the egg yolks with the remaining sugar and the grated zest of a lemon until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Incorporate the egg whites into the yolks, stirring gently from bottom to top to avoid disassembling the mixture.
- Then add the sifted flour , always with the same movement.
- Pour the mixture into a pan of about 25 x 30 cm lined with parchment paper forming a layer of one centimeter.
- Bake at 180 ° C for 10 minutes , remove from the oven and transfer the sheet of parchment paper to a clean cloth.
- Gently remove the cookie dough from the paper with the help of a knife.
- Cover the biscuit dough with plastic wrap and finally roll up.
- While the base cools, prepare the lemon cream for the filling. Combine the cream , mascarpone and icing sugar in a bowl and whisk everything with an electric whisk.
- Still with the whips in action, pour the squeezed juice of the other lemon and the grated zest of the same.
- Gently unroll the now cold biscuit dough, spread it with the cream and roll it up loosely.
- Transfer the lemon log to the refrigerator for at least 4 hours before serving.
The lemon roll can be kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days , well covered with plastic wrap or placed in a container for sweets.