The Cremona cake consists of two different cakes, one tart and one with soft dough, interspersed with jam.
There will certainly be few who have heard of the Cremona cake and even fewer those who have had the opportunity to taste it. For this reason today we discover the recipe for this typical dessert of the lower Lombardy that combines two different preparations.
The history of the Cremona cake is totally shrouded in mystery and it is not known what its origin is. What is certain is that the idea of combining a shortcrust pastry base with a soft cake is really special. That’s right, you got it right: Torta Cremona is a tart filled with cake. And of jam, of course! Having said that it might all seem a bit strange but have we ever disappointed you ?!
How to prepare the Cremona Cake with the original recipe
- First, prepare the shortcrust pastry shell which will be softer than what you are used to. Combine 160 g of flour , 100 g of corn starch and 100 g of powdered sugar in a bowl and mix quickly.
- Stir in 110 g of cold butter cut into chunks and knead with your fingertips until you get a crumbled dough.
- Incorporate 1 whole egg and 1 yolk and finish kneading, obtaining a dough.
- Wrap it in plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes .
- Then roll it out between two sheets of parchment paper until it reaches a thickness of 4 mm and transfer it to a 26 cm diameter cake pan . We recommend using a mold with a border of at least 4 cm.
- Transfer the base to the fridge and dedicate yourself to the other dough.
- Take the remaining eggs, separate the egg whites and yolks and whip the latter with half the sugar and the almond flavor .
- Add the melted and warmed butter and the almond flour.
- Separately, beat the egg whites until stiff and stir in the remaining sugar three times.
- Add the egg whites to the yolks, stirring gently from the bottom up.
- Finally, stir in the sifted flour , starch and yeast .
- Retrieve the base from the refrigerator and pour 3/4 of the jam on the bottom, spreading it evenly.
- Cover with the dough .
- Now sprinkle the surface with a generous layer of icing sugar then with the help of a tarot, draw some lozenges (or, for a different touch, use the remaining shortcrust pastry to create a mesh of dough on the surface).
- Transfer the remaining jam to a pastry bag with a fine nozzle and trace the diamond pattern just made.
- Cook at 180 ° C for 50 minutes.
- Serve the Cremona cake once it has cooled completely.
We advise you to try another typical dessert of Lombardy, the sbrisolona ! It is really delicious with its crunchiness and its intense almond flavor.
Cremona cake can be kept out of the refrigerator, covered by a cake bell, for 4-5 days.