Kue putri salju literally means Snow White cookies and they are very popular in Indonesia. Let’s find out how to prepare them at home.
There are many versions and recipes of kue putri salju, also known as Snow White cookies. These cookies are especially prepared for festive celebrations such as Eid, Christmas, etc. Kue putri salju is said to be an adaptation of the Austrian shortbread cookie called Vanillekipferl. The recipe is prepared with very few ingredients including butter, flour, powdered milk and a pinch of vanilla.
There are also other traditional cookies that we can compare to Snow White’s: such as Mexican wedding cookies or Russian tea cakes. The ingredients are very similar and are coated with lots of powdered sugar. Kue putri salju usually have the shape of a crescent, just like Mexican wedding biscuits , or in small white balls. Let’s see together how to prepare these delicious butter cakes.
Preparation of the kue putri Salju
- Whip the butter and icing sugar with the electric whisk at low speed.
- Add the egg yolks one by one and then also the cornstarch, powdered milk and almond flour, beat for another minute.
- Gradually add the 00 flour as well until it is amalgamated. Use your hands to continue mixing until a non-sticky dough is formed.
- Divide the dough into 2, wrap each in plastic wrap and then let the dough cool in the refrigerator for 30 minutes .
- Preheat the oven to 150 ° C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove a dough from the fridge and, if you have a crescent-shaped cookie cutter, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1 cm and use the cookie cutter to cut out the shape. If you don’t have a cookie cutter, simply divide the dough into 30-40 balls (depending on how big you want the cookies) and, if necessary, shape the desired shape with your fingertips.
- Do the same procedure with the second block.
- Place the pan on the 3rd shelf from the top of your oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until they are light golden on top and slightly browned on the bottom. Bake one tray of cookies at a time for best results.
- Let them rest for about 3 minutes , cover them with icing sugar while they are still hot and then let them cool completely before placing them in an airtight container.
For lovers of butter biscuits and preparations with few ingredients, we also recommend the recipe for butter and chocolate biscuits .
Snow White’s cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for about a week , but don’t think they will last you that long!