Simple oval bars with a crunchy taste: they are health biscuits, sweets cooked twice and made with brewer’s yeast and a few other ingredients.
Cooked twice just as the ancient tradition dictates, genuine and made with few ingredients. What are we talking about? Some health cookies! From where or why they earned this name no one knows, or in any case the versions are always different . What is certain is that if the recipe was first made mainly in Liguria and Piedmont , now these delicious sweets are made all over Italy. You don’t know them? We assure you that preparing them is child’s play, it will only take a little patience for the leavening, but it will be worth it.
Put on your apron and let’s go cook !
Preparation of the recipe of the biscuits of health
- First of all, take a small bowl and pour the warm milk with the brewer’s yeast.
- Stir and let it melt a few minutes.
- In the mind, in a fairly large container, add the farin a (the quality you prefer, we like it very rustic and lightly processed), the sugar, the melted butter, the eggs, a pinch of salt and the lemon zest.
- Then add the milk and yeast mixture and mix everything well.
- Knead until a homogeneous dough is created.
- Put it in a previously greased bowl, cover it with a cloth and let it rise for at least 2 hours in a dry place.
- Take the dough and form a loaf .
- Place it on a baking sheet covered with a sheet of parchment paper and bake at 180 ° C in a static oven for about 25 minutes .
- When the loaf is cooked but not golden, remove it and let it cool.
- Cut it into slices, redistribute them on the baking sheet and put them back in the oven for about 10-15 minutes . Until the cookies are golden brown and crunchy.
- Take them out of the oven, let them cool and serve.
If you want to try something that comes very close , but couldn’t be tastier, try the cantucci recipe.
These cookies can be kept for about 2-3 weeks in a tin box or in a special container. We do not recommend freezing in the freezer.