A typical seafood, which is either adored or hated. What are we talking about? Mussels! And how to freeze shellfish is the best way to always have them within reach of the pan.
We all know that seafood is a product to be eaten fresh, freshly picked up by the fishmonger and left in the refrigerator for a day at the most before it gets too old . Although, in truth, mussels can be found all year round, there are many who wonder if mussels can be frozen. Well, today we can tell you that, if you really want to always have a bag available to use in dinner with improvised friends, then the answer is yes ! Didn’t you expect it? Let’s see how to freeze both cooked and raw and live mussels.
How to freeze raw mussels
Perhaps you may not believe it, but if you have purchased a very fresh product, it is possible to freeze mussels even raw and in their shell. To do this, just follow these simple steps:
- Take the live mussels and immerse them in a container of water and salt for a few hours to release all the sand.
- Take a knife and clean them thoroughly from marine encrustations .
- Eliminate the molluscs with the shell not intact, chipped or really broken in half.
- Take a frost bag, insert a few mussels and close it carefully trying to eliminate as much air as possible from the inside.
- Place one or more bags of mussels in the freezer so that they are well portioned.
To tell the truth there is also another way to freeze live mussels: after having carefully cleaned them, open the intact ones with a knife, remove the fleshy body , give them a thorough wash and portion them in the freezer bags as described above.
How to freeze cooked mussels in the freezer
Even cooked and unshelled mussels can actually be frozen and, to do so, you will need to cook them first.
- First, immerse them in a basin of water and salt for a few hours so that they release all the impurities (you may have to change the water every now and then so that it is always clean and clear).
- Rinse them under running water and clean the shell from all encrustations.
- Take a non-stick pan, place it on the stove and pour in a drizzle of oil and a clove of garlic without a shirt.
- Let it brown for a few seconds, then pour the mussels into the pan.
- Let it cook for a few minutes with the lid on, until all the fruits have opened.
- To taste, blend with the white wine, add a pinch of pepper and fresh parsley cut with a knife .
- At this point, let the mussels cool completely, remove the shells and move on to racking.
- Place the mussels and their sauce in freeze bags or in special containers that can be placed in the freezer.
- Carefully close the chosen container (in the case of a frost bag try to eliminate as much air as possible) and place everything in the freezer.
If you have used one of our two (or rather three) freezing methods, you can be sure that your mussels will be ready to use at any time. In any case, the storage times are extended to 2-3 months, within this time it is advisable to let them defrost in the freezer and use them in your recipes as delicious spaghetti with mussels .
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Hairstyles for 18 years: some ideas to draw inspiration from
Some nice and quick ideas for the easiest and most beautiful 18 year old hairstyles to wear. Coming of age...
Tiramisu without mascarpone: if you haven’t tasted it yet, you are in time to fix it
The recipe for tiramisu without mascarpone is an alternative to the more classic spoon dessert, here's how to prepare it!...
Shorts know no age and can be worn without worries even at 50
Like love, shorts have no age and are worn even at 50, focusing on the right models. Who said that...
Tasty pumpkin and speck pasta: the first dish of autumn
Do you want delicious first courses? Pasta with pumpkin and speck is the one for you! Here's how to prepare...
Sarcopenia, what it is: symptoms and treatment of the disease
What is sarcopenia? Pathology involving the muscular system, involves a gradual loss of autonomy: symptoms and causes. Sarcopenia is a...
Health1 week ago
Nervous breakdown: how to recognize it and what to do
Fashion1 week ago
Wedding shoes like sparkling: here are the inspo and low cost jewel models
Fashion1 week ago
Ode to the maxi dress of summer 2022, a mix and match of elegance and comfort
Beauty1 week ago
Lip contour: what are the most effective creams and serums?