A delicious base for an infinite variety of desserts: here’s how to make the softest chocolate sponge cake there is.
The chocolate sponge cake is one of the most popular bases for preparing desserts of all kinds: it is nothing but the classic version but more delicious because with the addition of cocoa .
There are those who use baking powder to make the sponge cake soft, but we do not recommend it: in the original recipe it is not provided (which is why there are many eggs ) and the result is still high and soft.
If you’re ready to get started, here’s the easy recipe!
How to make soft chocolate sponge cake
First you must remember to take the eggs out of the refrigerator at least an hour beforehand. Eggs will perform best when processed at room temperature, not cold .
- Break the eggs by separating the yolks and whites in two different bowls. Beat the egg yolks with half of the sugar .
- Using an electric mixer, whip the egg whites until stiff , with a pinch of salt and the remaining granulated sugar.
- Gently combine the two compounds, mixing from top to bottom with a cake spatula.
- At this point you can gradually incorporate the flour, starch, bitter cocoa and vanillin.
- Pour the mixture into a pan (24 cm in diameter) lined with parchment paper and bake for 30-40 minutes at 180 ° C , avoiding opening the oven for at least the first 25 minutes.
Decorate your chocolate sponge cake as you like , but only after it has cooled completely.
How to use cocoa sponge cake
Traditionally, cocoa sponge cake is used to make very scenic cakes , filled with any type of cream or cream and fruit. Alternatively, you can cup it with cookie cutters or other utensils to make sweets or small cakes, or you can taste it sliced for breakfast.
It can also become the basis of cheesecake a little different from the classic ones, but also of original tiramisu ; if it is left over, you can make delicious pop cakes with it, crumbling it and “tying it” with creams or jams. Not to mention that it can be used as a base for a Sacher Torte-like , perhaps the most loved cake in the world.
The sponge cake made following this recipe can be kept for about 3-4 days in a cool and dry place, away from light and heat sources and under a special bell for sweets. We do not recommend freezing in the freezer.