Nusat is a pumpkin pie prepared in Oltrepo Pavese with a native variety, the berrettina. Here’s how it is prepared with the original recipe.
Nusat is a salted pumpkin pie typical of Lungavilla , a town in the province of Pavia located in the Oltrepo. It is here that the famous Berrettina pumpkin was born, recovered from the hybridizations that took place over the years, characterized by a smooth light gray skin and a hat shape, hence the name. Nusat pumpkin pie was originally made for the pre -Christmas Eve dinner , known as the Seven Course Dinner .
In fact, it was customary to set a table with seven different courses, one of which is the nusat cake, in order to then face the fast on Christmas Eve. Today this custom has been a bit lost, however in the small town of Pavia the nusat recipe is very jealously guarded and we have found someone who has decided to share the original with us (and with you).
How to prepare nusat with the original recipe
- First, cut the pumpkin into slices of a couple of centimeters, remove the seeds and place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cook it at 180 ° C for 40 minutes or until the pulp is tender.
- Then remove it from the peel and mash it with a fork until it is reduced to a puree.
- Finely slice the onion and brown it in a pan with 2 knobs of butter .
- Separately, in a bowl, combine the pumpkin pulp, the breadcrumbs , the egg , the parmesan and the onion scented butter (the onion will in fact be removed). Scented with nutmeg and season with salt and pepper .
- Pour the mixture into a greased baking dish covered with breadcrumbs and level the surface.
- Spread some flakes of butter here and there and cook at 150 ° C for 35 minutes.
- We advise you to let it cool before serving.
If you liked this recipe, we also recommend trying the pumpkin pie , a real treat with onions and potatoes.
Nusat pumpkin pie can be kept in the refrigerator , well covered with plastic wrap, for a couple of days. We advise you to bring it back to room temperature before consuming it.