All the reasons why you should include this food in your diet: it has many benefits and its healthy and easy to prepare.
Hummus is a creamy sauce made with chickpeas. It come from Lebanon, but it is very popular in the Middle East cuisine. Recently, it is spreading in the West, too.
It is usually served together with unleavened bread or injera (a flat and spongy type of bread). You can also use it as a filling or match it with other foods. Hummus is rich in proteins and fibers and poor in fat. Therefore, it is perfect for a healthy diet.
Hummus: how it is made
Traditionally, hummus contains chickpeas, tahini (a sauce made with sesame seeds), lemon juice, olive oil, salt, garlic, pepper, paprika and cumin. However, this recepe can be customized with other ingredients, such as bell peppers, chili, tuna, spinach, chicken or olives.
This is one of the healthiest foods you can eat, and it also has a special taste. A lot of people think they are addicted to hummus! Let’s learn something more about its benefits:
– It is a natural antidepressant, because it promotes the production of serotonin, thanks to the mix of olive oil and paprika.
– It helps keeping your weight under control. Other than containing a lot of proteins and fiber, hummus also makes you feel full and stabilizes blood glucose levels.
– It improves your skin, blood and bone health, because chickpeas are rich in proteins.
– It prevents tumors. Chickpeas contain a lot of folates and antioxidants which help preventing tumors. Moreover, garlic acts as a natural antibiotic.
– It promotes bowel movements, thanks to lemon, garlic, spices and olive oil. Moreover, it also helps eliminating colon toxins.
– It keeps bad cholesterol under control, thanks to the nutrients chickpeas contain.
Hummus: the easy and quick recipe
You can buy it in supermarkets, but remember that making hummus at home is easy and quick. In this way, you are sure of the freshness and quality of the ingredients!
– 400g of boiled chickpeas;
– 150ml of water;
– 2 tablespoons of lemon juice;
– 1 garlic clove;
– 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil;
– 1 tablespoon of tahini sauce;
– salt, pepper, cumin and paprika to taste.
Drain the chickpeas and put them in the blender, together with garlic, tahini, lemon juice, spices and salt. Blend everything and gradually add water and oil, until creamy. It only takes 2 minutes. Garnish with olive oil and paprika to taste.
How to store hummus
You can keep it in the refrigerator for 3 days, stored in an airtight container. You can also freeze it: in this case, you can keep it up to a month. If it looks dry, add some olive oil and it will be creamy again!
Photo source: https://pixabay.com/it/hummus-falafel-autenticamente-greco-1649230/, https://pixabay.com/it/photos/hummus-pasto-ceci-pasta-semi-1058001/
ultimo aggiornamento: 30-03-2019