Pan meino or pan de mei is a kind of sweet focaccia flavored with elderflower typical of Lombard cuisine.
Few people know the recipe for pan meino, also known as pan de mei. If we then move away from its area of origin, the one that includes the provinces of Milan, Monza, Lecco, Lodi and Como, then the probabilities are further reduced. Yet this typical San Giorgio dessert is so delicious and its history so compelling that we thought we would propose it to you.
April 23 is precisely the day in which St. George is celebrated, protector of milkmen, and it is on this occasion that the pan meini were originally prepared. On this date, in fact, once the contracts between the herdsmen and the milkmen were renewed and, to celebrate it, these sweets flavored with elderflower were prepared. The name then suggests another ingredient, that is millet flour now replaced by corn flour. So let’s see how pan de mei are prepared.
How to prepare the pan meino recipe
- First, beat the eggs with the sugar .
- Perfume with the seeds of the vanilla bean and pour the melted butter , stirring constantly.
- Season with a pinch of salt then add the two sifted flours with the yeast . You will need to obtain a soft but workable dough with your hands.
- Using a spoon, remove portions of 60-70 grams and give them the shape of a ball.
- Place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and flatten it slightly with your hand so as to obtain a disk of about 8 cm in diameter.
- Sprinkle the cakes with dried elder flowers, plenty of icing and granulated sugar .
- Cook at 180 ° C for 20 minutes then let them cool completely before serving.
The best way to spoil the pan meino is by dipping it in cream. Caloric yes, but really enjoyable!
If you liked this recipe, we recommend that you also try our sweet focaccia , you will not regret it!
By following this pan de mei recipe you can keep the dessert in a tin box or under a cake bell for a week , as good as freshly made.
Sausage and mushrooms in a pan: a second dish loved by everyone!
For a dish full of flavors, we propose a second course with sausage and mushrooms, to be prepared in a...
Baked cauliflower scented with sage
A seasonal and easy to prepare side dish: baked cauliflower with béchamel scented with sage, perfect to accompany meat dishes....
Tired of the usual side dishes? Try the spinach alla romana
If you don’t know how to cook spinach then this recipe with raisins and pine nuts is perfect for you....
It’s good, soft and simple to make: it’s the legendary focaccia with onions!
Impossible to resist the scent of a freshly baked pan of focaccia with onions. Let’s find out how to prepare...
Embroidered polo shirts: precious allies at work and in your free time
Embroidered polo shirts help to create unique outfits and create personalized clothing for work: how to order them online quickly...
Recipes1 week ago
Salmon nigiri: sushi at your home in a few steps
Food1 week ago
All about tamarind: its beneficial effects, its contraindications and how to use it
Fashion1 week ago
Voce Viva, the new fragrance by Valentino: Lady Gaga is the voice and face for the maison
Recipes1 week ago
French bread miche: “It’s always noon” gives us an ancient recipe