Simple and quick to prepare, the fritters with iron are a typical Italian recipe prepared with a particular utensil.
Iron pancakes are a little known recipe. In fact, if everyone has an idea of how to prepare pancakes or waffles, when we talk about pancakes with iron we look at ourselves questioningly. The areas in which they are most common are those of the South , however, thanks to the spread of the passion for cooking and the simplicity of finding the “iron”, the indispensable tool for this recipe, they can be prepared almost anywhere.
The recipe for fritters with iron differs from the others just mentioned because, to prepare the iron, it is dipped in the dough and then placed in boiling oil until the pancake comes off. The result is fluffy pancakes with iron that can be enjoyed alone or filled with custard, pairing them two by two. Moreover, according to the design of the iron, with the same mixture it is possible to obtain many different shapes.
How to prepare the pancake recipe with iron
- First, break the eggs into a bowl, add the milk , a pinch of salt and the vanilla extract. Give it a quick stir with a whisk.
- Add the flour and starch and mix again until you get a smooth, lump-free batter.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Choose the shape of the iron you prefer and fix it to the support, then dip it in boiling oil.
- Dry it quickly by dabbing it with a sheet of kitchen paper then dip it in the batter, without going over the edge.
- Immediately immerse the mold in the oil until it is submerged, then lift it so that the pancakes come off.
- It only takes a few seconds to obtain the right degree of browning.
- Continue until the dough is used up.
- Before serving, dab the pancakes with the iron with kitchen paper to remove excess grease.
As mentioned, they are good both alone and paired two by two and filled with custard .
Iron pancakes can be stored for a couple of weeks in a tin container. However, if you fill them, the storage times are reduced to two days and it is better to place them in the refrigerator.