Few ingredients are needed to prepare cod and chickpeas and yet the flavor of this second dish is truly incomparable!
Cod and chickpeas is one of those dishes that just cannot be missed in the most typical restaurants of the capital . Simple and poor but with an intense flavor, it has long fed the population allowing them to fill up on proteins with two essentially poor ingredients.
The traditional recipe includes very few ingredients : chickpeas and cod of course, but also garlic, oil, tomatoes and parsley. It only takes a few steps to transform simple flavors into genuine dishes and, if you let yourself be guided by our recipe, you will not regret it. Also, if you really want to do things right, serve the cod with chickpeas on slices of toast : you will feel what a delight!
How to prepare the cod and chickpea recipe
- First, make sure you have desalted the cod by soaking it in water for 2 days and changing it at least 2-3 times a day. Even if you buy desalted cod, make sure you leave it in the water for half a day before using it.
- Also soak the chickpeas for 24 hours and boil them in plenty of water for 2 hours (in a pressure cooker an hour will be enough), salting only at the end. Alternatively, use well-drained canned chickpeas and skip this step.
- In a pan, heat the oil with the crushed garlic clove.
- Add the crushed tomatoes with a fork and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bones from the cod , cut it into pieces of about 3 cm and add it to the tomato.
- Extend the sauce with a glass of water , flavor with chopped parsley and a sprinkle of pepper and cook for 10 minutes.
- Also add the chickpeas , a pinch of salt and finish cooking for the next 10 minutes.
- Serve it with croutons .
There are really many recipes with cod, one better than the other. One of our favorites, however, is the stewed cod : try it and let us know!
Alternatively, we recommend trying the cod with chickpeas in white, prepared simply by omitting the peeled tomatoes . You can flavor the recipe by adding rosemary and blending the fish with white wine but remember that instead of peeled tomatoes you will need to add a glass of water that will help cooking.
You can store cod and chickpeas in the refrigerator in an airtight container for a couple of days. Reheated it will be even better!
Sausage and mushrooms in a pan: a second dish loved by everyone!
For a dish full of flavors, we propose a second course with sausage and mushrooms, to be prepared in a...
Baked cauliflower scented with sage
A seasonal and easy to prepare side dish: baked cauliflower with béchamel scented with sage, perfect to accompany meat dishes....
Tired of the usual side dishes? Try the spinach alla romana
If you don’t know how to cook spinach then this recipe with raisins and pine nuts is perfect for you....
It’s good, soft and simple to make: it’s the legendary focaccia with onions!
Impossible to resist the scent of a freshly baked pan of focaccia with onions. Let’s find out how to prepare...
Embroidered polo shirts: precious allies at work and in your free time
Embroidered polo shirts help to create unique outfits and create personalized clothing for work: how to order them online quickly...
Recipes1 week ago
Salmon nigiri: sushi at your home in a few steps
Food1 week ago
All about tamarind: its beneficial effects, its contraindications and how to use it
Recipes1 week ago
French bread miche: “It’s always noon” gives us an ancient recipe
Fashion1 week ago
Voce Viva, the new fragrance by Valentino: Lady Gaga is the voice and face for the maison