Scallion pancakes are savory pancakes also known as Chinese wraps, crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside and enriched with spring onion.
Scallion pancakes, literally pancakes with spring onions, are a typical recipe of Chinese cuisine that thanks to its goodness, combined with extreme simplicity of preparation, has also conquered the public of us Westerners. The preparation is very different from the classic pancake as well as the consistency.
The mixture, enriched with the green of the spring onions , is rolled out and then rolled up. Finally, it is given a spiral shape before rolling it out again with a rolling pin. The result can be described as Chinese wraps crunchy on the outside and tough on the inside , excellent to serve both as a main course, perhaps accompanied by a yogurt sauce, and to replace bread.
How to make scallion pancakes with the original recipe
- Gather the flour in a bowl and make a hole in the center.
- Pour in the boiling water and let it rest for 10 minutes without stirring.
- Then add the cold water and oil and mix until it forms a dough.
- Cover the bowl with a cloth and let it rest for 5 minutes .
- Knead again, add the salt and let it rest, this time for 30 minutes .
- Divide it into 4 equal parts and roll them out to form a disk of about 15 cm.
- Brush it with oil and flavor with Chinese five-spice powder (or a mix of star anise, Sichuan pepper, cloves, cassia, chopped fennel seeds).
- Also slice the green of the spring onion and distribute it on the surface.
- Roll it up on itself to form a cylinder, then roll up the cylinder as well, forming a snail.
- Let them rest for 15 minutes .
- Roll them out with a rolling pin to obtain a 15 cm disc again .
- Oil a non-stick pan and cook the scallion pancakes 2-3 minutes per side , until golden and well fried.
- Serve hot alone or accompanied by sauces of your choice.
If this recipe is an excellent main course, you can choose one of our quick first courses to create a complete menu for the whole family.
We recommend that you consume the freshly made scallion pancakes . If you have any leftovers, keep them well covered in the refrigerator and heat them in a pan before serving.