The stuffed sponge cake roll is a really simple dessert to prepare, ideal for a snack or to be served at the end of a meal.
The “rolled recipes” have a certain charm and this is undeniable. Whether it’s a dessert or something salty, deciding to serve a roll is always a very popular choice and that’s why today’s recipe is the sponge cake roll. Very simple to prepare and suitable for any occasion, it lends itself to numerous variations, one better than the other.
The starting ingredients are in fact the same as the sponge cake, but thanks to the different proportion between these it is possible to obtain a dough that is easy to handle and therefore perfect to be rolled. As for the filling, on the other hand, you are spoiled for choice: from the simplest jam to hazelnut cream through custard or cream, choose what you prefer without fear of making a mistake.
How to prepare the sponge cake recipe
- First, break the eggs into a bowl and add the sugar .
- Work with an electric mixer or a planetary mixer fitted with a wire whisk, until the mixture has tripled in volume.
- At this stage, as desired, you can flavor the mixture with vanilla (a sachet of vanillin, a teaspoon of extract or the seeds of a berry) or grated lemon zest.
- Then incorporate the sifted flour with a spatula, stirring gently from bottom to top so as not to dismantle the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a 30 × 40 cm pan lined with parchment paper and level the surface well.
- Bake at 180 ° C for 15 minutes or until the surface is golden.
- Remove from the oven, cover with another sheet of parchment paper and turn it upside down, removing the paper at the base very gently as long as it is hot.
- Immediately roll up the sponge cake and let it cool.
- Then fill it by spreading a generous layer of jam to taste (but as mentioned you can also choose other creams) and roll up.
The filled sponge cake roll is ready to be served immediately or after having left it to rest for a few hours at room temperature. Also, if you like the idea, try the roll a la Nutella prepared with biscuit dough.
Rolled sponge cake can be kept out of the refrigerator for 2-3 days if you have used non-perishable fillings such as jam and Nutella. Conversely, it is better to place it in the refrigerator, well covered with film, and consume it within 3 days.