The king’s salami is a roll of biscuit dough soaked in alchermes and stuffed with traditional and chocolate custard. Too greedy!
The king’s salami is a typical recipe of central Italy that recalls, due to the combination of flavors, the classic English soup. To contend for the authorship are Tuscany and Umbria and, as always when it comes to traditional recipes, it is impossible to find a meeting point. It owes its name to the sumptuousness of the preparation but also and above all to the presence of chocolate , once the prerogative only of the nobility.
It consists of a roll of biscuit dough soaked with alchermes , which gives it not only a pleasant peach aroma but also a beautiful pink color, and filled with custard . Ideal to be served at the end of a meal, the king’s salami with the Umbrian recipe will unanimously conquer all palates. Are you curious to find out how it is prepared?
How to prepare the king’s salami with the original recipe
- First, beat the egg whites until stiff, then add 125 g of sugar three times, stirring.
- Always stirring, add the 90 g of egg yolks one at a time, then perfuming with the grated rind of the lemon and the seeds taken by cutting a vanilla pod in half lengthwise.
- Finally, stir in the sifted flour , stirring gently from the bottom up.
- Pour the mixture into a 30 × 40 cm pan lined with parchment paper and bake at 200 ° C for 10 minutes .
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle a spoonful of sugar on the surface.
- Cover with contact film and let cool.
- In the meantime, dedicate yourself to the custard. Pour milk , cream , seeds of a second vanilla bean into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Separately, mix the 6 egg yolks , 130 g of sugar and the two starches in a bowl.
- Add the latter in the saucepan as soon as the liquid has reached a boil and mix well with a whisk.
- Let it cook until it has thickened, reaching the characteristic consistency. It will take about ten minutes.
- Once ready, take 360 g of custard and add the finely chopped chocolate with a knife, stirring with a spatula until melted.
- Cover with cling film and let cool.
- Prepare the syrup by mixing water and alchermes .
- Now retrieve the biscuit dough base, remove the dark layer by simply rubbing it with your hand and gently remove it from the parchment paper.
- Soak it with a kitchen brush, cover with a layer of light custard then with one of the chocolate, keeping two tablespoons aside.
- Roll up not too tightly and place on a serving dish.
- Decorate with the cream kept aside and serve.
If you like these recipes we suggest you also try the Nutella roll : it will win you over at the first taste!
The king’s cake can be kept in the refrigerator, well covered with cling film, for 2-3 days . We advise you to bring it back to room temperature for about ten minutes before serving.