The traditional recipe of the Piedmontese panissa is that of an easy first course, made with typical ingredients: rice, beans, salami della duja and little else.
Panissa Vercellese is a delicious first course, whose name changes according to the province in which it is prepared. In any way it identifies itself, this is a typical product of Piedmont, linked to an ancient tradition. Before presenting it, it should be noted that this recipe should not be confused with the Ligurian preparation of the same name. The one originally from Vercelli is a rice- based first course. The dressing is particular and enriched with products linked to the territory, such as beans . Furthermore, the salami of the duja (in practice the one in fat) cannot be missing. The latter is a particular sausage, which is left to mature in terracotta jars, filled with lard, and which enriches the whole dish with flavor.
Preparation of the recipe for panissa
- First, prepare the broth. In a saucepan, pour the water, half an onion, a stick of celery, a bay leaf, 4 black peppercorns and 1 carrot.
- Complete with the beans, the rind (if you prefer you can omit it) and the coarse salt, for salt. Bring the liquid to a boil.
- Simmer for 1 hour .
- When cooked, filter the broth, eliminating the vegetables, the beans (which you have to set aside) and the rind. Set it aside in a warm place.
- Cover the bottom of a pan with oil. Chop the remaining onion and pour it inside.
- Fry , adding the beaten lard.
- Once done, add the cooked beans. Also add the rice and toast it.
- Deglaze everything with red wine. Continue cooking, for the time required by the rice, adding the broth (previously prepared), a little at a time .
- Halfway through cooking (about 8 minutes), cut the duja salami into pieces and add it to the rice.
- Once cooked, spread over the plates and season with chopped parsley.
The real name of panissa and how to taste it
Originally from the Vercelli area, this first course is also called Piedmontese paniccia. The traditional preparation has spread to other nearby provinces, but with different names and some changes in the recipe. In the upper Lomellina and in Novarese it is known as paniscia and prepared with other vegetables, such as cabbage and savoy cabbage . The same name is used in some areas of Lombardy. In the provinces of Lodi and Pavia, beans are not used, but grated Grana Padano is added.
Another curiosity is linked to the true recipe of Panissa. Traditionally, after serving the dish at the table, a pit was created in the center of the rice, to pour more wine and give even more flavor to the preparation. The product must be red and full-bodied, like Nebbiolo or Barbera (also used as a wine pairing with Panissa Vercellese). However, this custom is slowly disappearing among the affected provinces. The habit that has not been lost, however, is to flavor the dish with grated cheese.
Once ready, the panissa Vercellese can be kept in the fridge , closed in an airtight container, for 2 days . You can heat it up if necessary.
Alternatively, for a delicious first course we also recommend the Barolo risotto .
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Baccalà alla cappuccina: a rich dish of the Italian tradition
Cod alla cappuccina is a delicious dish based on fish and polenta, typical of the cuisine of Friuli and Veneto....
Blood loss before your period: what they can indicate
Bleeding before your period can be completely normal. Let's find out why it happens and how to act. When we...
Trout in foil: for a simple and tasty fish dish!
We enjoy a light but very tasty second course, trout in foil, easy to prepare and ideal for fish lovers....
Let’s prepare the babka, the Jewish cake in the shape of a braid
Babka is a leavened cake rich in taste and which is becoming more and more known also in Italy. Let's...
Chickpea cutlet: ingredients and tips for preparing a special dish
The chickpea cutlet recipe is specially designed for those looking for a delicious dish to alternate with meat or fish...