The traditional recipe of the Piedmontese panissa is that of an easy first course, made with typical ingredients: rice, beans, salami della duja and little else.
Panissa Vercellese is a delicious first course, whose name changes according to the province in which it is prepared. In any way it identifies itself, this is a typical product of Piedmont, linked to an ancient tradition. Before presenting it, it should be noted that this recipe should not be confused with the Ligurian preparation of the same name. The one originally from Vercelli is a rice- based first course. The dressing is particular and enriched with products linked to the territory, such as beans . Furthermore, the salami of the duja (in practice the one in fat) cannot be missing. The latter is a particular sausage, which is left to mature in terracotta jars, filled with lard, and which enriches the whole dish with flavor.
Preparation of the recipe for panissa
- First, prepare the broth. In a saucepan, pour the water, half an onion, a stick of celery, a bay leaf, 4 black peppercorns and 1 carrot.
- Complete with the beans, the rind (if you prefer you can omit it) and the coarse salt, for salt. Bring the liquid to a boil.
- Simmer for 1 hour .
- When cooked, filter the broth, eliminating the vegetables, the beans (which you have to set aside) and the rind. Set it aside in a warm place.
- Cover the bottom of a pan with oil. Chop the remaining onion and pour it inside.
- Fry , adding the beaten lard.
- Once done, add the cooked beans. Also add the rice and toast it.
- Deglaze everything with red wine. Continue cooking, for the time required by the rice, adding the broth (previously prepared), a little at a time .
- Halfway through cooking (about 8 minutes), cut the duja salami into pieces and add it to the rice.
- Once cooked, spread over the plates and season with chopped parsley.
The real name of panissa and how to taste it
Originally from the Vercelli area, this first course is also called Piedmontese paniccia. The traditional preparation has spread to other nearby provinces, but with different names and some changes in the recipe. In the upper Lomellina and in Novarese it is known as paniscia and prepared with other vegetables, such as cabbage and savoy cabbage . The same name is used in some areas of Lombardy. In the provinces of Lodi and Pavia, beans are not used, but grated Grana Padano is added.
Another curiosity is linked to the true recipe of Panissa. Traditionally, after serving the dish at the table, a pit was created in the center of the rice, to pour more wine and give even more flavor to the preparation. The product must be red and full-bodied, like Nebbiolo or Barbera (also used as a wine pairing with Panissa Vercellese). However, this custom is slowly disappearing among the affected provinces. The habit that has not been lost, however, is to flavor the dish with grated cheese.
Once ready, the panissa Vercellese can be kept in the fridge , closed in an airtight container, for 2 days . You can heat it up if necessary.
Alternatively, for a delicious first course we also recommend the Barolo risotto .
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Second hand for Christmas gifts? From abroad, the trend that Gen Z likes
Economical and sustainable, the second hand could be the new solution for Christmas gifts. The relationship of consumers and the...
Christmas broccoli: the traditional recipe for holidays
The recipe for Christmas broccoli, an air of celebration on the tables of Christmas Eve or lunch on December 25th....
Catawiki launches the “House of Gucci” auction to tell the story of the maison
To warm the wait for House of Gucci, the history, objects and collections of the house are up for auction...
Have you ever heard of lemon salad?
If you are looking for a light side dish to accompany your richer main courses, the lemon salad is the...
Wheat: why it forms and how to fix it
The wheal is an allergic type manifestation typical of urticaria. Find out how it comes, what it depends on and...