Let’s prepare the pumpkin and pancetta risotto: with fresh thyme, white wine, a little butter, lots of parmesan and black pepper.
The pumpkin and pancetta risotto recipe is very simple to prepare but takes some time. The dish combines two apparently contrasting flavors that combine perfectly: the sweetness of the pumpkin and the flavor of the pancetta.
Pumpkin and pancetta rice is prepared by toasting the rice before starting the process of adding the vegetable broth. If you’ve never prepared risotto this way, the process involves slowly adding the broth to the rice and letting it absorb and expand. It’s a simple process but takes some time. Let’s see in detail how to prepare our pumpkin and pancetta risotto recipe.
Preparation of pumpkin and pancetta risotto
- Prepare about a liter of vegetable broth , you can use either the granular one or do it with carrots, onion and celery. You will need this broth for cooking.
- Cut two thirds of the bacon into cubes and the rest into thin strips.
- Chop the shallot and put it in a non-stick pan with the oil and the bacon cubes.
- Cook slowly adding a spoonful of broth. When the shallot has become transparent, add the peeled and diced pumpkin and cook for 10 minutes .
- Add hot broth gradually. When it has softened, mash it to make it a puree.
- Toast the rice in a saucepan with a drizzle of oil, stirring constantly. Add the wine and let it evaporate.
- Then add the pumpkin puree , bring the risotto to cooking, adding a little broth at a time as the previous one is absorbed.
- Once cooked, add the butter and grated Parmesan cheese and mix.
- Let it sit. Sauté the bacon strips in a pan until crispy.
- Divide the rice into individual plates and finish with a few strips of bacon and shredded thyme. For those who like it, add a grind of pepper and serve your pumpkin and pancetta risotto.
If you love to use this autumnal ingredient with a delicate flavor, we also recommend the recipe for another simple and quick to prepare first course, pumpkin and clam rice .
A quick trick to make it easier to cut raw bacon into cubes is to place it in the freezer for about 45 minutes to harden it. After that you will cut it much, much easier. You must then pay attention to the broth: before adding it to the rice it must be boiling , so as not to slow down or interrupt the cooking process.
You can keep the pumpkin and pancetta risotto in the refrigerator for a maximum of 2 days .