Make the most of one of the best and most colorful vegetables of autumn with our quick and easy recipe for pumpkin in oil!
Our grandmothers knew very well how to make preserves, one of the best known was that of pumpkin in oil. Once the pumpkin season has run its course in fact, it’s pretty sad to say goodbye to the sweet and earthy autumn fruit , so we came up with this pumpkin preserves recipe that allows us to extend its season. Making it is very simple, in fact the slices of simply grilled pumpkin are marinated in extra virgin olive oil and fresh aromatic herbs, and can be accompanied by a second course of meat or fish, placed on croutons for an appetizer, or enjoyed directly from the jar!
You can make your pumpkin preserves with your favorite varieties of spices and herbs , it all depends on whether to boil or roast the pumpkin. Boiling adds a soft, tender texture while roasting results in a firmer, denser texture. Let’s see together how to prepare the recipe.
Preparation of the pumpkin recipe in oil
- Wash the pumpkin, cut it into slices and remove the seeds.
- Heat a saucepan over medium-low heat and, once hot, cook the pumpkin slices on both sides until dry and golden brown, then set aside.
- Arrange the slices one at a time in the sterilized glass jars, alternating with garlic, fresh mint leaves, fresh hot pepper, coarse salt and extra virgin olive oil.
- Continue to stratify the ingredients until the end of the container. Close the jars and transfer them to a pot of boiling water.
- Let it boil for 30 minutes to close the vacuum jars.
- Drain them, then turn them over to cool. Make sure the jars are vacuum-sealed and that there are no air bubbles before storing them in a cool, dry place.
If pumpkin is one of your favorite autumn fruits, we suggest you also try our recipe for baked pumpkin , very fragrant and tasty!
Once you have opened one of the jars, you can keep the pumpkin in oil for a maximum of 3-4 days in the refrigerator, otherwise when closed it can also be kept for a few months in a cool and dry place and away from light or heat sources. Make sure you always leave the slices covered in oil.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Baccalà alla cappuccina: a rich dish of the Italian tradition
Cod alla cappuccina is a delicious dish based on fish and polenta, typical of the cuisine of Friuli and Veneto....
Blood loss before your period: what they can indicate
Bleeding before your period can be completely normal. Let's find out why it happens and how to act. When we...
Trout in foil: for a simple and tasty fish dish!
We enjoy a light but very tasty second course, trout in foil, easy to prepare and ideal for fish lovers....
Let’s prepare the babka, the Jewish cake in the shape of a braid
Babka is a leavened cake rich in taste and which is becoming more and more known also in Italy. Let's...
Chickpea cutlet: ingredients and tips for preparing a special dish
The chickpea cutlet recipe is specially designed for those looking for a delicious dish to alternate with meat or fish...