Pumpkin in saor is a natural and delicious recipe, perfect for any occasion and ideal for a vegan diet.
If you are looking for an original and healthy way to enjoy pumpkin, then this recipe is really for you. Pumpkin in saor is a very easy dish to make and 100% VEG which consists in cooking the pumpkin in the oven, and then seasoned with sweet and sour onions, raisins and pine nuts. A truly delicious dish, but at the same time it won’t take you too long in the kitchen. Try it, you will not regret it absolutely!
Let’s see how to cook pumpkin in this natural and delicious way!
Preparation of the pumpkin in saor
- First, take the raisins and leave them to soak in a bowl with wine vinegar. In the meantime, take care of the pumpkin, and then clean it by removing the outer skin and all the internal seeds, then cut it into rather thin slices.
- At this point, let’s move on to cooking the pumpkin in the oven: place the slices on a covered baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 15 minutes at 180 ° C.
- In the meantime, let’s go to make our saor to season the pumpkin. Take the onions, peel them and cut them into thin slices. Heat a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a pan and let it brown for a few minutes.
- Deglaze with the cooking white wine and continue to cook, adding salt and pepper.
- Now you just have to compose your dish: place the pumpkin slices on a flat plate and season them with a few tablespoons of onions, raisins and pine nuts . Serve the pumpkin in saor with a drizzle of raw extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy your meal!
And if you want to discover other recipes with pumpkin, then you absolutely must try this cream of pumpkin and chickpeas . Simply delicious!
Tips and small variations of Primo Chef
The saor recipe is a must that you just can’t help but count among the preparations of your “cookbook”. But what is saor? It is an ancient recipe, typical of the Veneto region , used essentially to lengthen the conservation of fish (especially sardines ) and consists of a carefully balanced mix of vinegar and onion combined with a main ingredient (which in our case will be pumpkin). Of course, for the pumpkin saor recipe there are small variations or additions that will transform this dish and make it different from the usual but equally good.
Instead of cooking the pumpkin in the oven you can, otherwise, scald it in the pan to create a delicious crust (and adding a drop of EVO oil so that it does not stick to the bottom). The same procedure, but without adding oil, you can use it with pine nuts to give that characteristic toasted aroma to the whole dish.
Finally we advise you to add a few bay leaves and rosemary to make the preparation perfectly flavored.
This dish must have time to blend in flavors, so the advice is to let it macerate for at least 48 hours before enjoying it. We do not recommend freezing in the freezer.