It’s possible to prepare a quick fold-free puff pastry in 10 minutes and your sweet and savory recipes will be safe!
Puff pastry is undoubtedly one of those ingredients that is always worth having at home . It is versatile as it lends itself to sweet and savory recipes, vegetarian or vegan (with the appropriate attention), delicious or lighter. At the same time, with its infinite layers , it is also very good. Too bad that preparing it at home takes so long, especially if you don’t have our quick puff pastry recipe.
That’s right, you got it right: you can prepare a puff pastry with an easy recipe that does not include all the classic folds . The ingredients are always the same so you will have to get flour, butter and water , but the steps are really immediate. You will still have to let it rest for half an hour in the refrigerator but you can use that time to prepare the filling, for example.
How to make quick puff pastry
- The best way to make puff pastry with the easy recipe is to use a food processor with blades at the bottom. Pour in the flour and the very cold butter cut into chunks.
- Blend intermittently until you get a sandy mixture.
- Then add the water , which is also very cold, and the salt and knead quickly just long enough for the ingredients to combine.
- Transfer everything to a pastry board and form a loaf .
- Then roll it out with a rolling pin to form a 2 mm thick rectangle .
- Roll along the long side.
- Flatten the sausage with a rolling pin until it reaches a thickness of 2 mm again. This time, make sure that the strip is wider than it is longer.
- Then roll it around the shorter side to make a large swivel.
- Transfer to the refrigerator for 30 minutes and that’s it.
- To use the quick puff pastry, flatten it by positioning the swivel so that the layers are parallel to the work surface.
The puff pastry is ready to be used in your recipes. You can also add a spoonful of sugar to the dough to make it more suitable for your sweet recipes. Among the other basic recipes of the kitchen, we recommend that you also take a look at the shortcrust pastry : for versatility it is comparable to the puff pastry!
You can keep the homemade puff pastry in the refrigerator for 2-3 days or freeze it for over a month. If necessary, defrost it in the refrigerator and then use it as per recipe.