Shuba salad is a Russian salad that is different from the usual, elegant, tasty and colorful. But don’t expect a light salad …
Shuba salad is a great chef’s dish, but incredibly easy to make . It is a recipe of Russian origin, delicious and fun to bring to the table. If you can’t find smoked herring, which is still available in most supermarkets, you can use mackerel. You can also try it with tuna in oil, but we recommend, if possible, to choose smoked fish .
How to make shuba salad
- Wash potatoes and carrots.
- Put two pots of water on the fire. Put the potatoes in one and boil them. Depending on the size it takes about 25-40 minutes. In the other pot, boil the previously peeled carrots for about 15 minutes. Also in this case take into account their size.
- In the end, to the toothpick test , potatoes and carrots must be soft while maintaining a certain texture. Drain the potatoes and carrots, peel the potatoes and let them cool completely .
- With a grater with large holes, grate potatoes, carrots and red beets, keeping the three vegetables separate. If you like, you can lightly salt and pepper the vegetables.
- Meanwhile, harden the eggs by cooking them for about 10 minutes in water. Peel them, let them cool, then chop them finely with a knife.
- With a fork flaked smoked herring crumbled.
- Peel the onion and chop finely.
- Take a pastry cutter of the shape you prefer, round or square. Prepare the salad directly on the plates by layering the ingredients and compacting them gently from time to time with the back of a spoon. Use ingredients at room temperature , not refrigerated. Start with the herring and continue with the carrots, potatoes, egg and onion. Then form a light layer of mayonnaise, continue with the beets, then with another layer of mayonnaise to close.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and refrigerate until ready to taste.
We advise you to keep the shuba salad in the fridge, inside a container or well covered with plastic wrap, for about 2 days , no more.
If you liked this recipe, try our smoked herring recipes too !