The Sicilian ravazzate are delicious rustic stuffed with meat sauce and peas, a renowned street food of Sicilian gastronomy that you can serve as an appetizer.
Soft round loaves stuffed with meat sauce and peas: these are the Sicilian ravazzate, a must of the rustic cuisine of the Southern Italy region. With the doses listed below you should get about 12-13 morsels.
Like all traditional recipes, there are many variations; these delicious morsels, for example, differ from the rizzuole which instead must be fried . Here is the step by step preparation of the recipe of Sicilian ravazzate!
Preparation of the meat ravazzate
- First of all, dedicate yourself to the preparation of the dough: sift the flour directly into the planetary mixer, add the sugar, the brewer’s yeast and mix.
- Operate the planetary mixer at low speed and slowly add the lukewarm water. When it is completely absorbed, add the salt as well.
- Continue adding the lard a little at a time, always continuing to knead .
- Work the mixture obtained on a cutting board and knead to obtain a compact dough.
- Cover with a clean cloth and let the dough rise for 3-4 hours .
- In the meantime, dedicate yourself to preparing the filling: finely chop the onion and carrot then brown them in a saucepan with a drizzle of oil. Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Continue adding the minced meat and cook over high heat for 5 minutes to brown the meat well. Deglaze with the white wine and let the alcohol evaporate.
- Meanwhile, mix the tomato paste with the water then add everything to the minced meat, mix well and season with salt, pepper and bay leaf. Cover with the lid, lower the heat and cook for 30 minutes .
- After this cooking time, add the peas and cook for another ten minutes. When cooked, turn off the heat, remove the bay leaves and let the meat and pea sauce cool .
- Take the dough and knead it to obtain a loaf that you will divide into balls of the same weight.
- Knead the balls and let them rise for another hour in the oven with the light on.
- Take back the balls of dough, roll them out to form a sort of disk and stuff with a spoonful of meat sauce. Close forming the balls and seal the edges well, place the ravazzate on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, brush with egg and sprinkle the surface with sesame seeds.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 ° C for 20 minutes . When cooked, remove from the oven and let it cool for a few moments before serving.
Do you love the flavors of Sicily? Then you can also prepare the Sicilian sfincione .
These filled sandwiches or pies can also be stored for 2-3 days in the refrigerator, well wrapped in cling film. If you have used all fresh ingredients you can also freeze them in the freezer.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Baccalà alla cappuccina: a rich dish of the Italian tradition
Cod alla cappuccina is a delicious dish based on fish and polenta, typical of the cuisine of Friuli and Veneto....
Blood loss before your period: what they can indicate
Bleeding before your period can be completely normal. Let's find out why it happens and how to act. When we...
Trout in foil: for a simple and tasty fish dish!
We enjoy a light but very tasty second course, trout in foil, easy to prepare and ideal for fish lovers....
Let’s prepare the babka, the Jewish cake in the shape of a braid
Babka is a leavened cake rich in taste and which is becoming more and more known also in Italy. Let's...
Chickpea cutlet: ingredients and tips for preparing a special dish
The chickpea cutlet recipe is specially designed for those looking for a delicious dish to alternate with meat or fish...