How are Sicilian arancini made? The recipe is simple and the result is delicious! Let’s find out how to prepare this wonderful finger food.
Rice arancini, also called arancine, are a truly wonderful Sicilian finger food. In Sicily they can really be found everywhere, among the streets of the cities and in the various fry shops scattered around the towns of the island … but have you ever tried to prepare them at home? There are now so many versions of these delicious rice timballs that we have lost count!
Today we have decided to offer you the classic version with a filling of meat and mozzarella : what do you say, do we get to work? So let’s immediately discover all the steps of the Sicilian rice arancini recipe!
How to make rice arancini: the original recipe
- First of all, take care of the rice: boil it in boiling salted water, then dissolve the saffron sachet in a bowl with hot water and add it to the cooked rice , stirring with butter and grated cheese.
- Once you have done put the rice on a baking sheet, leveling well and cover with plastic wrap. The rice will have to rest out of the fridge for at least an hour and a half .
- In the meantime, switch to the filling: peel the onion, fry it in a pan with oil and add the minced meat. Salt, pepper, blend with the wine and then add the tomato .
- Leave to cook for at least twenty minutes.
- When the rice has cooled and the sauce is ready, you can move on to forming the arancini. Take some rice and make a sort of hollow, stuffed with a spoonful of meat sauce and diced mozzarella and then close, forming a ball or, if you prefer, giving them a more tapered shape.
- Then move on to the breading : dip your rice balls in beaten eggs and then in breadcrumbs.
- Fry in hot oil until the arancine are golden and once ready dry them with kitchen paper .
- Enjoy your meal!
Instead of ragù, if you wish, you can also create a filling of ham and mozzarella .
Do you love cooking? Also try all our recipes with rice : you will not regret it!
Now that you have seen the Sicilian arancini recipe, know that they should be enjoyed at the moment , when they are still hot and with a racy heart. If you can’t finish them all, you can also keep them in the refrigerator well wrapped in plastic wrap for about 1-2 days. If you have used all fresh ingredients you can also freeze them in the freezer when raw, and fry them if necessary, or when cooked and then heat them only in the oven before serving.
But do we say arancini or arancine?
The quintessential Sicilian dilemma: what are these delicious fried and stuffed rice balls? Are they male or female? The answer… varies from area to area!
In Palermo, for example, we say arancina, and therefore the term is feminine. On the contrary, in Catania he returns to be masculine. The difference lies in the etymology, since some say it derives from the orange, others instead from the tree, which therefore being orange , turns towards the male gender.
Yet Crusca also intervened on the term, who put order on the diatribe: it is called arancino and not arancina for reasons of seniority: the term is older and seems to date back to 1857. However, the feminine also remains valid …
If you liked the recipe of Sicilian rice arancini, discover the video of the preparation .