Famous all over the world, this is what a smashed burger is and the precise technique needed to prepare it.
The term smashed burger does not indicate only a precise recipe, in this way we indicate the technique known for making the meat, used in the creation of the sandwich, even more succulent . This consists in placing a meatball in the center of a pan and crushing it with a spatula, to obtain the good patty (the disc of meat so called by the Americans).
Through this operation, the juices of the meat come out and, thanks to the heat, form that delicious crust that covers the whole hamburger. We are talking about the very thin crunchy and full of taste veil, which makes everything more succulent. To enrich the burger, we can accompany the meat between the slices of bread with a variety of ingredients. Red onions, lettuce, gherkins and much more, to make an irresistible sandwich .
Preparation of the recipe for the smashed burger
- Before you begin, get yourself a stainless steel or cast iron skillet . Oil it completely and then wipe it with a paper towel to remove the excess.
- Turn on the stove over medium heat and place the pan on top to heat it for 5 minutes .
- Meanwhile, arrange the minced meat , forming four equal (and equal weight) portions in the shape of a meatball.
- Season them on all sides with lots of salt and pepper .
- Switch to high heat , causing smoke on the pan. Place the first two meatballs.
- Take a metal spatula and mash one at a time, to flatten the meat a lot.
- The result is fairly thin burgers (about 2cm high).
- After about 1 1/2 minutes a golden crust forms on one side and you can scrape the edges to remove the meat and turn it over.
- Do the same for the other side of the meat discs, which always takes 1 minute and a half.
- As soon as they are cooked to your liking, transfer each one onto a slice of bread . Stuff with the seasoning of your choice, such as a slice of cheese and bacon.
- Clean the pan with absorbent paper and cook the other two meatballs in the same way and at the same time.
Primo Chef’s advice
To make a great Smashed burger it is essential to follow some guidelines. The basic rule is to use fresh meat , the one just bought and not the frozen one . Remember to keep it in the fridge and take it only a few minutes before starting to cook the smashed, to ensure that the fats remain compact.
The best thing is to use a sort of “meatball” of meat , with a round shape. If you are using a disc that has already been flattened, the result may not meet expectations. You have to mash this meatball with the spatula in the first 30 seconds that the meat is on the pan. Beyond this time, the juices could melt inside and, therefore, not come out.
The smashed burger is great when eaten freshly cooked. Hot and seasoned, the meat is succulent right after cooking. If you keep it, the meat can become cold and not as palatable as at the beginning.
Alternatively, satisfy your hunger with a savory chicken burger !