The Victoria sponge cake is one of the most popular and delicious English recipes. Try it with tea, just as Queen Victoria liked it!
They call it Victoria cake, Victoria sandwich or Victoria sponge, it is a delicacy of British origin with a very recognizable appearance. Two discs of cake to be filled meet, like in a sandwich, enriched with a sour and rich filling based on cream cheese and raspberry jam.
A curiosity: before 1900 it was known simply as sponge cake. Then, seeing that the English sovereign loved it so much (she used to enjoy it with tea at 5.00 pm with her ladies-in-waiting), they decided to rename it.
Preparation of the Victoria sponge cake
- This cake is very easy to make, you just have to be careful to take all the ingredients out of the fridge at least half an hour before using them. Everything must be at room temperature: this is essential .
- Put the butter in the mixer with the sugar and work it until the mixture is smooth, with no more grains of sugar.
- Then incorporate the eggs one at a time so that as much air as possible enters.
- When it is homogeneous, complete by combining all the missing ingredients.
- Then pour the mixture thus obtained into two lined twin cake molds and bake in a preheated oven at 180 ° C for about 20 minutes .
- While the cake is cooking, prepare the cream by whipping the cream with the icing sugar.
- Separately, add the Philadelphia and the mascarpone, working them with a whisk .
- Finally, add the whipped cream, mixing from top to bottom so as not to take it apart.
- Place in the fridge until ready to stuff.
- When the cake is cooked (never open the oven before at least 20 minutes have passed) and it has cooled to 100% you can proceed with the filling. On the serving dish, place the first disc of cake, on which you will spread the raspberry jam (if you wish, enrich it with fresh raspberries).
- Then, stuff with the cream and finally place the second disc of cake, also brushed with jam.
Preparation of the Victoria chocolate sponge cake: the variant
For a more delicious variant, try the cocoa version. Add to the mixture 200 g of melted chocolate that you have cooled to perfection: add them after adding the eggs and proceed as indicated above.
Cooking times do not vary, but you can indulge yourself with the filling : try filling it with orange marmalade and simple whipped cream. A real delicacy!
This cake can be kept in the refrigerator for a short time , given the presence of fresh whipped cream. We advise you to leave it under a special bell for sweets for a maximum of 1-2 days. We do not recommend freezing in the freezer.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Baccalà alla cappuccina: a rich dish of the Italian tradition
Cod alla cappuccina is a delicious dish based on fish and polenta, typical of the cuisine of Friuli and Veneto....
Blood loss before your period: what they can indicate
Bleeding before your period can be completely normal. Let's find out why it happens and how to act. When we...
Trout in foil: for a simple and tasty fish dish!
We enjoy a light but very tasty second course, trout in foil, easy to prepare and ideal for fish lovers....
Let’s prepare the babka, the Jewish cake in the shape of a braid
Babka is a leavened cake rich in taste and which is becoming more and more known also in Italy. Let's...
Chickpea cutlet: ingredients and tips for preparing a special dish
The chickpea cutlet recipe is specially designed for those looking for a delicious dish to alternate with meat or fish...