The tordelli alla lucchese are a pasta shape filled with meat usually served with meat sauce. Let’s find out the original recipe to prepare them.
No, we were not wrong in writing. Today we want to talk to you about tordelli alla lucchese, a very rich traditional first course typical of Versilia, the north-western area of the region. This typical product is a sort of crescent-shaped ravioli stuffed with different types of meat, cheese and sometimes herbs.
We will offer you the original recipe to prepare stuffed tordelli from Lucca but know that, as always when dealing with a traditional recipe, each family brings its own particular reinterpretation to the table. The ingredients that cannot be missing in the preparation of this typical Lucca dish are minced pork, mortadella and pecorino . Get ready to get your hands on it because it’s really worth it!
How to prepare tordelli alla lucchese with the original recipe
- First of all, dedicate yourself to the filling . Brown the minced pork and veal in a pan until it is well cooked.
- Transfer it to a bowl with bread soaked in broth (or water), two eggs, grated cheeses, knife-chopped mortadella, nutmeg, salt, pepper and parsley. Stir and let it rest in the refrigerator.
- In the meantime, dedicate yourself to the preparation of the pasta . Make a fountain with the flour (even inside a bowl) and break the eggs in the center.
- Start kneading with a fork and then by hand, transferring everything to the pastry board. You will need to get a smooth and homogeneous dough.
- Wrap it in plastic wrap and let it rest for half an hour .
- In the meantime, dedicate yourself to the preparation of the ragù . Finely chop celery, carrot and onion and brown them in a pan with oil and bay leaf. Add the minced meat and after having browned it over high heat for a few minutes, blend with the red wine.
- When you no longer smell alcohol rising from the pan, add the crushed tomatoes with a fork, a pinch of cinnamon and a pinch of salt and cook for 2 hours over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- While the ragù is cooking, roll out the dough not too thin and with an 8 cm pastry cutter make as many circles as possible.
- Place a generous amount of filling in the center of each and close in a crescent, sealing with the prongs of a fork.
- Cook the tortelli in abundant salted water for 2-3 minutes and once ready serve them with the ragù.
The tordellli in a Lucchese-style pan can also be seasoned with a simpler butter and sage . However, if you follow our recipe, you can enjoy all the flavor of tradition.
History and tradition of the tordello
It is not yet known why this type of filled pasta is called tordello instead of tortello . In fact, the ancient texts, up to 1700, speak of tortelli and it seems that the transliteration is due to a typical Tuscan saying, “fat as a thrush”. Given the importance of the filling of this pasta shape, they began to be called tordelli and since then they have never stopped.
Considered the dish for special occasions, not everyone knows that originally it was a real poor dish. In fact, the filling was made up of bread, aromatic herbs and spices . Very far from the triumph of meat we are used to today almost like the classic meat tortellini .
The tordelli can be kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days . It is also possible to freeze the filled pasta separately, spreading it on a tray and putting it in bags once it has hardened in the freezer, and the sauce, if fresh ingredients have been used for the preparation of both.
Riproduzione riservata © - WT
Baccalà alla cappuccina: a rich dish of the Italian tradition
Cod alla cappuccina is a delicious dish based on fish and polenta, typical of the cuisine of Friuli and Veneto....
Blood loss before your period: what they can indicate
Bleeding before your period can be completely normal. Let's find out why it happens and how to act. When we...
Trout in foil: for a simple and tasty fish dish!
We enjoy a light but very tasty second course, trout in foil, easy to prepare and ideal for fish lovers....
Let’s prepare the babka, the Jewish cake in the shape of a braid
Babka is a leavened cake rich in taste and which is becoming more and more known also in Italy. Let's...
Chickpea cutlet: ingredients and tips for preparing a special dish
The chickpea cutlet recipe is specially designed for those looking for a delicious dish to alternate with meat or fish...