We offer you the real Susanna cake recipe, whose origins are shrouded in mystery. It is said that it was a young cook who created it, achieving great success.
The Susanna cake is actually a tart and is made up of a shortcrust pastry shell, a ricotta cream filling covered with a delicious layer of dark chocolate. There are no official sources regarding the origin of the name but many pastry chefs tell the story. The recipe for the Susanna cake comes from the city of Parma, this dessert is in fact typical of the Parma culinary tradition. It is said that the recipe was invented by a young cook and that her dessert was a great success and made her famous throughout the city. Let’s see together how to prepare the original recipe.
Preparation of the Susanna cake
- For the shortcrust pastry, quickly mix the flour, butter, 1 egg, 60 g of sugar, a teaspoon of yeast and 1 vanilla bean and form a loaf.
- Put it to rest in the refrigerator for about 45 minutes .
- After the time has elapsed, roll out the shortcrust pastry, line the mold you have chosen by trimming the edges and put back in the refrigerator.
- For the filling, sift the ricotta and add it to 75 g of sugar, mixing the mixture well.
- Separately whip the 4 egg yolks with another 75 g of sugar and then add the two compounds, mixing them well. Flavor with the seeds of the vanilla bean and with the remaining butter after having melted it in a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Pour the freshly made filling into the cold shortcrust pastry shell, then bake in a preheated oven at 180 ° C for about 40 minutes.
- Remove the Susanna cake from the oven and let it cool to room temperature while you prepare the ganache .
- In a saucepan, heat 150 ml of cream, then when it comes to a boil, turn off the heat and pour in the chopped chocolate.
- As soon as the chocolate and cream ganache has cooled, pour it over the cake and let it cool well.
Susanna cake with the Thermomix
- Prepare the shortcrust pastry : put 200 g of flour, 60 g of sugar, 100 g of butter, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, a vanilla bean in the jug and knead for 3 min. speed 2.
- Form a loaf and wrap it in plastic wrap. Put it in the fridge for 30 min.
- Prepare the cream : without washing the jug, add 500 g of ricotta, 4 egg yolks, 150 g of sugar, a vanilla bean and mix for 30 sec. speed 3.
- Turn on the oven at 180 ° C.
- Roll out the pastry on a sheet of parchment paper and line a 20 cm cake pan with high sides.
- Pour the cream into the pastry shell and cook for 30 min.
- Let it cool to room temperature.
- Prepare the ganache : in a clean jug, put 150 g of dark chocolate and chop it for 10 sec. speed 8.
- Add 150 ml of heated cream that has come to a boil and stir for 5 min. speed 3.
- Pour your ganache on the cake as soon as it is warm and let it cool again.
If you liked this recipe and want to try another one to prepare with the help of the Thermomix, we recommend the Gelato cake , perfect to serve at the end of a meal.
The Susanna cake will keep perfectly for 3/4 days in the fridge. We do not recommend freezing.