The rich mixture of lard and onions makes the Mantuan tirotto a dish for true connoisseurs. Here’s how to prepare it with the original recipe.
It is difficult to hear about tirotto from Mantua outside its area of origin. Yet this sort of focaccia with onions is something incredible, which really deserves to be tried. Originally from Mantua, as you can guess from the name, the tirotto or tirot originates in the area between Felonica and Sermide because it is precisely here that the characteristic golden onion used for preparation is grown.
This extraordinary typical dish owes its name to the particular gesture of pulling the focaccia dough directly into the pan. But be careful, even if we wanted to create a comparison with the classic onion focaccia, the two preparations are different in the ingredients: a self-respecting tirotto must be prepared with lard and not with oil!
How to prepare the Mantuan Tirotto recipe
- First peel the onions and slice them rather thinly.
- Separately, in a bowl or in the mixer, dissolve the yeast in the water then add the flour .
- Begin to knead before adding, away from the yeast, even the salt .
- Incorporate the lard as well .
- Now all that remains is to add the onions and mix well until they are distributed.
- Once you have a rather sticky but homogeneous dough, let it rest for an hour in the bowl.
- After the rest time has elapsed, oil the oven tray (or line it with the special paper) and pour the mixture.
- Spread it well with your fingers, pulling it, so as to form a layer of homogeneous thickness.
- Let it rest for 30 minutes without worrying too much if you don’t see it rise.
- Finally cook at 200 ° C for 45 minutes .
- Serve the tirot after it has cooled.
What do you think of this typical Lombard recipe? Will it be able to hold its own against focaccia with onions ?
The Mantuan tirotto can be kept for a couple of days well covered with film or wrapped in silver paper. You can also reheat it slightly in the oven before consuming it.
Sausage and mushrooms in a pan: a second dish loved by everyone!
For a dish full of flavors, we propose a second course with sausage and mushrooms, to be prepared in a...
Baked cauliflower scented with sage
A seasonal and easy to prepare side dish: baked cauliflower with béchamel scented with sage, perfect to accompany meat dishes....
Tired of the usual side dishes? Try the spinach alla romana
If you don’t know how to cook spinach then this recipe with raisins and pine nuts is perfect for you....
It’s good, soft and simple to make: it’s the legendary focaccia with onions!
Impossible to resist the scent of a freshly baked pan of focaccia with onions. Let’s find out how to prepare...
Embroidered polo shirts: precious allies at work and in your free time
Embroidered polo shirts help to create unique outfits and create personalized clothing for work: how to order them online quickly...
Recipes1 week ago
Salmon nigiri: sushi at your home in a few steps
Food1 week ago
All about tamarind: its beneficial effects, its contraindications and how to use it
Recipes1 week ago
French bread miche: “It’s always noon” gives us an ancient recipe
Fashion1 week ago
Voce Viva, the new fragrance by Valentino: Lady Gaga is the voice and face for the maison