Perfect for a snack but also at the end of a meal, the custard roll is a really simple dessert to prepare.
Do you have little time to prepare a dessert suitable for a meal or are you looking for something simple for a snack? Whatever your need, the answer is the cream roll. Prepared with a biscuit dough base ready in less than 15 minutes, the roll filled with cream will be able to conquer the palates of young and old.
After all, who can say no to a classic combination of pastry, king of filled cakes. We have to admit it: with this dessert we wanted to be on the safe side, giving you a recipe with guaranteed success , simple to prepare and, of course, very good. Don’t believe it? You just have to try it!
How to prepare the cream roll recipe
- First devote yourself to the cream so that it has time to cool down before being used. Heat the milk with the lemon zest (or the vanilla bean cut lengthwise).
- Separately, beat the 2 egg yolks with 50 g of sugar and the cornstarch until you get a creamy lump-free mixture.
- Pour in the hot milk, stirring with a whisk and put it back on the heat.
- Let it thicken for a few minutes starting from the boil until you get a thick and smooth cream .
- Transfer it to a bowl, cover it with cling film and let it cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the biscuit dough. Break the eggs into a bowl, add the sugar and work the mixture with an electric mixer until it has tripled in volume.
- Add the sifted flour , stirring gently from the bottom up to avoid disassembling the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a baking tray lined with parchment paper and level the surface.
- Bake at 180 ° C for 10-15 minutes then remove from the oven and gently remove the parchment paper, turning the biscuit dough upside down on another sheet of paper.
- Roll up and let cool.
- Fill the roll with the custard, roll it up and let it rest in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before serving.
Alternatively you can also try the delicious chocolate roll . We guarantee that in the end you will not be able to say which one you like best!
The cream roll can be kept in the refrigerator , well covered with film, for 2-3 days. We advise you to bring it back to room temperature for a couple of hours before enjoying it.