The crispy focaccia is a variant of the classic recipe perfect both to replace bread and to make delicious croutons.
Among the most popular recipes of Ligurian cuisine there is certainly the Genoese focaccia but what happens if we increase the cooking times of the recipe and roll it out thinner ? We get a crunchy focaccia, perfect to serve instead of bread or to turn into a crouton.
It is a truly unusual recipe that certainly cannot be compared to the original one, but we can guarantee you that once you try it you will never be able to do without it. Sure, the preparation requires some patience due to the different steps, but the result is really worth the effort.
How to prepare the recipe for crispy focaccia
- In a bowl, mix the two flours with almost the entire amount of water listed among the ingredients.
- Knead quickly then add the sugar and salt , pouring the other water.
- Incorporate the crumbled yeast with your hands working everything on a pastry board, very vigorously.
- Then form a dimple in the center of the dough and add the oil , working it until it is absorbed.
- Let it rest for 30 minutes .
- Then enlarge it with a rolling pin to form a rectangle and proceed with a round of three folds . Imagine that you divide the rectangle into three smaller rectangles with vertical lines: then bring the right rectangle to cover the central one and finally fold the left one too.
- Let stand covered with a tea towel for another 30 minutes .
- Then spread the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (the dripping pan is the perfect size) and let it rise for an hour .
- Then practice the characteristic dimples over the entire surface with your fingers.
- Prepare a brine with the oil , water and salt and pour it on the surface.
- Let rise again for 50 minutes .
- Now you just have to cook at 220 ° C for 20 minutes , until it is golden and crunchy.
Your crunchy focaccia is ready but if you love tradition then we advise you to follow the classic focaccia recipe.
The crispy focaccia can be kept in a plastic bag for a couple of days to have it as freshly made.