Crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside, vegan fried cream is perfect both as an appetizer and as a dessert. Let’s find out together how to reinterpret the recipe.
Fried cream is a typical dish from different areas of Italy . In Emilia Romagna and Marche it is consumed as an appetizer , together with fried meat and Ascoli olives, while in the Veneto region it is served as an end of a meal . The vegan fried cream, just like the traditional one, can be served on both occasions.
You will be amazed by the creaminess contained in a crunchy breading , by its sweet and aromatic flavor, but also by the simplicity of the preparation of these vegan desserts. The fried cream, in fact, is nothing more than vegan custard , spread and hardened before being fried. Nothing complicated in short, just a re-adaptation of the recipe to make this dish perfect even for those who follow a vegan diet.
How to prepare the vegan fried cream recipe
- Put the corn starch , turmeric , vanilla bean seeds and sugar in a saucepan.
- Add the soy milk slowly , stirring with a whisk to prevent lumps from forming.
- Transfer everything to the heat and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 1 or 2 minutes from the boil . You will notice that the mixture will begin to thicken.
- While still hot, transfer it to a pan lined with cling film , forming a layer of about one and a half centimeters.
- Let it cool completely, then transfer to the refrigerator overnight .
- The following day, cut squares of cream, which will be solid by now. Prepare a batter with flour and water and dip your cubes.
- Then pass them in breadcrumbs before frying them in boiling oil. Drain them with a slotted spoon and leave them for a few moments on absorbent paper before serving the fried cream with a sprinkling of icing sugar .
The fried cream, also in the vegan version, is good fresh and freshly ready. If you can’t finish these delicious ingots, however, you can keep it for a day in the refrigerator , well covered with cling film or inside a container with an airtight lid. We do not recommend freezing.